Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got these Pirelli tires at Sam鈥檚 Club for $276 with install on my Nissan Versa 2014

Pirelli P4 Four Season Plus - P195/65R15 91T Tire http://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/prod15120205.ip

Note they are one size larger oversized and the tread 馃榿 is way more than the Goodyear Fuelmax. they did not have these tires in the factory size so I went bigger to get the deal.

Attachments

Registered
You are correct. Might cost you an almost unnoticeable dip in gas mileage. These are softer rubber tires and will probably wear somewhat faster than your previous ones.....but should hold the road better and be more fun in hard corners.

Super Moderator
I too plan on going up a size when I replace them on my car. Ive done that on all my vehicles and it makes the handling better with little to no effect in mpg.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I too plan on going up a size when I replace them on my car. Ive done that on all my vehicles and it makes the handling better with little to no effect in mpg.
It will help me not peel out as much on my 5 speed when I鈥檓 up a steep hill.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You are correct. Might cost you an almost unnoticeable dip in gas mileage. These are softer rubber tires and will probably wear somewhat faster than your previous ones.....but should hold the road better and be more fun in hard corners.
I will manually track my gas mileage and report back. The size of the tire may throw off the calculations the computer makes in the car and not show the true gas mileage change.

Super Moderator
What psi are you using? Tire or door jam psi? Have you traveled a thousand miles on them yet? Its my xperience it takes a thousand to break them in. You said your speed is now accurate. Are you calculating the mpg off the tire size or the dash readout?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
What psi are you using? Tire or door jam psi? Have you traveled a thousand miles on them yet? Its my xperience it takes a thousand to break them in. You said your speed is now accurate. Are you calculating the mpg off the tire size or the dash readout?
40 psi this last trip. I鈥檓 calculating mpg manually miles per tank divided by the number of gallons of gas to refill. I did not account for the tire size.

Super Moderator
In that case your mpg should be the same if not better as you are traveling further with the new tires vs what the odo is indicating or what you thought it was indicating since it was reading on the high side.

Registered
In that case your mpg should be the same if not better as you are traveling further with the new tires vs what the odo is indicating or what you thought it was indicating since it was reading on the high side.
Theoretically you are correct, but practically new tires could have higher rolling resistance. As far as I know stock tires new cars are sold with have the lowest possible rolling resistance in order to increase advertised mpg.

Super Moderator
Yeah, taller increases, shorter decreases. Its how he is calculating. He was using the odo reading by fuel usage. If he said the new tires correct the mpg, then he needs to verify distance traveled otherwise its apples to oranges vs apples to apples.

Registered
Wow! That sams club link says they are a 90,000 mile rated tire. Plus the tread pattern looks identical to the old Michelin Rainforce tire that I loved. They were an 85,000 mile tire and the absolute best I'd ever had on wet pavement. I hated Michelin discontinued them.
I'm almost sad I don't need tires now. Lol. Hope they have a similar deal on these about 15,000 miles from now.

Registered
Wow, that is a GREAT deal on a great tire!

I was going to get those on my other car (205/55/16) but Discount Tire couldn't get them. They would have been about $400 w a family discount. Although those tires do pretty well in snow, you really need to make sure you are on top of the alignments and rotations. They tend to wear out on the edges which happens to be where most of your traction comes from if you do not keep a really good eye on rotation and alignment. Other than that, they are great and should get decently close to the 90k miles. I ended up going with Yokohama Avid Ascends instead.

I too went up a size on my versa, 195/65/15 with Bridgestone Turanza w/ Serenity tires. Mileage did drop off by about 4-5 mpg in city dropping but only about 1 mpg on the highway. If you have a sedan and live in a snowy climate you will notice that the wheel wells do clog with snow substantially more often and then freezes into a solid chunk of ice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Its 2% which is what I thought based on the odometer. The odo is rigged by Nissan to favor better gas mileage too. This would support Goodyear Fuel Max actually saves gas but they don鈥檛 last as long.

I have noticed bald tires get better gas mileage.

My latest mpg is 34

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
2013Versa
Nissan Versa Forums
We鈥檙e a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing