Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Versa 2 weeks ago from a dealer and they only supplied 1 key since that's all they had from the previous owner. Any ideas on how to get 2 more keys made without breaking my wallet. Buying and cutting isn't the problem, how can the keys be programmed using the existing key? Thanks for any support.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What trim level do you have? Is it a 1st or 2nd gen sedan? I have a 2012 sedan 1.6 S. I bought uncut keys off E-bay for $15 each and had them cut at Ace Hardware. The guy warned me that they wouldn't work, but they open the door/trunk and start the car just fine. However, the SV and SL may have more electronics in place to prevent this from working.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I believe Nissan sells them for like $115 but you can get them a lot cheaper online. I just don't know much they charge to program it to your car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have the wireless key, key with remote entry fob or just a regular key? If you just have a base model with no power options, a regular key might work. If you have the fob or wireless key, the keys themselves are cheap. You can program the car to respond to the fob yourself, but not the key. It's programming the key that makes you bend over. A local locksmith should be able to do it cheaper than the dealer, but it's still around $80 to $100 each.

It's not something you can do yourself or have someone do online because you need the car programmed to accept the new key and fob. The car sends out a wireless signal and the transponder chip in the key responds with a code. The car then checks to see if the code is on its list of authorized keys. Entering the code into the car's memory involves plugging a proprietary programming module. The module is only available through Nissan to authorized dealers and locksmiths.

Once you have the keys, for god's sake don't lose them. Watch them like they were a stack of $20 bills, because they are.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought my Versa 2 weeks ago from a dealer and they only supplied 1 key since that's all they had from the previous owner. Any ideas on how to get 2 more keys made without breaking my wallet. Buying and cutting isn't the problem, how can the keys be programmed using the existing key? Thanks for any support.
Give the sales manager a call and mention that you expected to get two keys with the used Versa from a Nissan Dealer. The price should include two keys, which is a reasonable assumption. Just like you would expect that the spare tire was included without asking.

Pause and wait for a reply... If they won't budge, ask if they can cut one for cost.

I picked up this key/phone locator. Check out smart phone accessories Proximo Works like a tether between the phone and keys. Plus if you go out of range, the app shows you the location where the keys were last seen on a map.

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/3068/proximo™-find-your-phone-items-easily.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.