Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all! Well, I'm the proud new owner of a brand spankin' new 2012 Versa S 6MT! It's white with charcoal gray interior, and it has the Plus Package (Cruise and keyless), a rear spoiler, and carpeted floor mats. I've watched these cars in the market for a while, and I must say that a 6MT is VERY rare in Arkansas! This is the first one I've actually seen new at a dealership.

To what seems like everyone's shock and confusion, I traded in my G35 6MT Coupe for it, but financially it actually made more sense, and the Benjamins are harder and harder to come by these days. As part of the deal, the dealership is going to remove the Borla True Dual exhaust system from the G and return it to me in exchange for me returning to them the factory cat-back from the G. I took the factory system to them today, and in the process, the Versa gave me its first showing of how great it's going to be! I was able to drop the rear seats and load up the actually very bulky exhaust system into the Versa and then comfortably drive 70 miles with it to the dealership! The only way that exhaust system would have ever fit into the G is installed where it belongs under the car! I'll haul the Borla's back home in it, and I'll sell it for probably nearly enough to pay the sales tax on the Versa.

I'll probably do a very few minor mods on the Versa, but I'm mostly just going to enjoy miles and miles of cheap, carefree, and fun driving! I think I'll probably start with doing a leather wrap on the steering wheel. I did one on my '88 Corvette steering wheel years ago, and it actually turned out very nice looking. Once the first set of tires wears out in probably a year and a half or so, I'll also probably get some nicer wheels to go along with the new tires. I already have in mind what kind of wheels I want, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the forums :thumb2: and yea I'm about shocked about the trade in as well lol but I did come from a 2004 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition, so I did a similar deal, except I actually sold it to my Dad not the dealership :smilielol5:

Being under 25, in a higher end sport car and already classified as Medium-risk, well the insurance payments alone were what my Versa car payments are now lol.

Enjoy your say :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, the sweet, blazing-fast sports car is fun to drive, but it just eats everything! It eats up the road as fast as you've got the balls to go, but it also eats up 18" tires at $200 a pop, eats up any cash in your wallet on maintenance and repairs (Bose stereo/HVAC breaks down, bushings are terrible, wheel bearings are expensive, cam sensors are crap, and the list goes on...), and eats lots of premium gas! Additionally, I HATED driving the car in the rain! I couldn't even crack the window open to have a smoke without getting soaking wet! As much as I loved it, I'm glad to be out of it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Welcome! I've had some nice steering wheel wraps too, but I cheaped out this time:D

I found my V shifter is much lighter than the G35S sedan I test drove, do you? Welcome vinco!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We want pictures, we want pictures, lol but seriously welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to nvf post some pics up :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome! I've had some nice steering wheel wraps too, but I cheaped out this time:D
I found my V shifter is much lighter than the G35S sedan I test drove, do you? Welcome vinco!
Not only is the shifter a whole lot lighter, but the clutch is also! The G35 6MT is notorious for 3rd gear syncros going bad as well. Mine was OK if you shifted it slow, but it would grind a bit if you tried to shift to fast when it was cold. My wife HATED driving the G because the clutch was so stiff, but I was OK with it, even though it was a 1-leg workout in traffic!

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Not only is the shifter a whole lot lighter, but the clutch is also! The G35 6MT is notorious for 3rd gear syncros going bad as well. Mine was OK if you shifted it slow, but it would grind a bit if you tried to shift to fast when it was cold. My wife HATED driving the G because the clutch was so stiff, but I was OK with it, even though it was a 1-leg workout in traffic!

Thanks for the welcome!
Do you know if this applies to the 350z as well? My brother has an '03 and it makes this odd noise when shifting into 3rd gear(6MT).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you know if this applies to the 350z as well? My brother has an '03 and it makes this odd noise when shifting into 3rd gear(6MT).
Yes. G35 and 350Z are the same mechanicals and suspension under the skin. If his transmission is one of the earlier ones with a code of CD003, CD004, or maybe CD005, then it's probably going to have syncro problems unless it's been rebuilt. If it's been replaced with a later version CD008 or CD009, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If your brother doesn't have an exhaust on his 350Z, then have him hit me up if he's interested in my used Borla True Dual system coming off my G35C. It's a direct bolt-on. Actually, my Borlas are a 350Z system with bolt-on extension pipes to fit the G35C.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Yes. G35 and 350Z are the same mechanicals and suspension under the skin. If his transmission is one of the earlier ones with a code of CD003, CD004, or maybe CD005, then it's probably going to have syncro problems unless it's been rebuilt. If it's been replaced with a later version CD008 or CD009, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If your brother doesn't have an exhaust on his 350Z, then have him hit me up if he's interested in my used Borla True Dual system coming off my G35C. It's a direct bolt-on. Actually, my Borlas are a 350Z system with bolt-on extension pipes to fit the G35C.
Well when he 1st got it 3rd gear wasnt working at all so we replaced the tranny and clutch, now it shifts fine but still makes that noise. :(

And he does have an exhaust, he actually has dual stillen mufflers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.