Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
lol, are you serious? who the hell gets their foot trapped by a freaking trim piece?

edit: read through the story...that guy is an idiot that "almost" had a crash, i know the piece they are talking about, but all you have to do to get out of that situation is move your foot to the side but instead the idiot in the article was trying to pull his foot in an upward motion...i swear, people sometimes...i mean hello, you took your hand off the steering wheel while making a turn...what did you expect was going to happen? that you were going to safely coast to a stop? lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That area is rounded and deep enough to house your shoe, sounds like some people are being lazy with poor driving posture and their foot is slanted catching the plastic instead of it of it being on the pedal fully.

Correct your driving posture and try wearing different shoes, problem solved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Instead of insulting the guy how about having some sympathy for a driver who couldn't move his foot the instant he wanted? Timing is everything and if my foot gets caught up on anything OEM it's a safety risk. I had a Tacoma whose factory floor mats caught the gas pedal once in a while. I was able to play around with the mat , push in the clutch, and fix it while moving but I probably shouldn't have had to focus on a manufacturing defect and instead focused on driving. A short while later there was a recall. I sold that POS by then but will never keep silent or make excuses in the future.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Instead of insulting the guy how about having some sympathy for a driver who couldn't move his foot the instant he wanted? Timing is everything and if my foot gets caught up on anything OEM it's a safety risk. I had a Tacoma whose factory floor mats caught the gas pedal once in a while. I was able to play around with the mat , push in the clutch, and fix it while moving but I probably shouldn't have had to focus on a manufacturing defect and instead focused on driving. A short while later there was a recall. I sold that POS by then but will never keep silent or make excuses in the future.

i get where you're coming from, but what i dont understand is how these people get themselves into situations that are solved by common sense. example: i have a 96 honda civic that shortly after i picked it up, had the same issue that alot of people had with the whole floor mat getting stuck and lodging the gas pedal, was able to pull the mat back without taking my attention away from driving and promptly removed the floor mat and put it in the trunk...problem solved (fortunately honda had a recall for this and took it into the dealership where they installed an anchor bolt into the floor mat). example 2: my Versa Note, had the same exact issue that the guy in the article describes...big difference is like anyone who knows how to control their body i moved my foot to the side instead of doing the thing that would obviously make it worse, which is to PULL UPWARD on it, i mean c'mon, if you know pulling upwards isnt getting your foot unstuck why try to keep pulling on it in the same direction? and furthermore, why was this guy going full throttle making a left turn through an intersection to the point where he was making the tires screech? for myself, i just adjusted my footing and havent had the problem since, but i guess if you have larger than average feet it can be a problem. don't get me wrong i fully stand behind making the NHTSA aware of these little issues as it makes the car safer for all of us, but the media circus that surrounds these recalls that alot of manufacturers have been having is just getting rediculous, but i guess it makes the public more aware, so whatever.

edit: did a little test yesterday to see where your foot has to be positioned to get trapped in the trim piece they are talking about...all i can say is that either the guy has really big feet (like around size 20) or he did it on purpose because in order for myself to get my foot stuck i literally had to have my entire foot covering the gas pedal with my heel resting on the bottom of the gas pedal...i dont know about anyone else, but that is not how i position my foot to press on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
hmm would the world be better off if that guy never procreated?? Or his lineage went extinct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Instead of insulting the guy how about having some sympathy for a driver who couldn't move his foot the instant he wanted?
Not a chance. There are too many stupid people in the world today, and I refuse to have sympathy or make excuses for them (which seems the politically correct thing to do). The old adage "you can't fix stupid" applies in this case....no recall needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you go to safercar.gov the complaints sounds similar, one complaint mentions they have size 13 feet and depending on the angle of their shoe it gets caught there when they move from gas to brake. Another complaint mentions when they move their foot from the gas pedal to the brake it gets caught on the trim.

This sounds like a lack of situational awareness not a design defect, it's no different then those people mistaking the gas pedal for the brake they don't understand where their feet are in relation to the surroundings.

If your shoe keeps getting caught don't lift your foot so high up, re-adjust your seat so you can actually reach the pedals with minimal effort.

Why can't people just own up? I'm also aware of the situation but it can be taken care of taking a few seconds to become aware of your surroundings and some minor adjustments on your part.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't read the full report, but can comment on other's reactions. I too wear size 13 shoes. My feet at times have gotten caught up under the dash trim of a few cars and even a fire truck! For me its best if the trim is none existent or a complete under panel blocking possible hang ups. On a previous car, I had to remove the panel all together because there wasn't enough room for my big foot. It has also happened to me pretty badly in the Versa when I started driving it. I have adjusted my foot placement since, but it can be awkward at times. This particular guy that reported his story may sound foolish, but I do assure you it happens more than you think.

You know what they say about a guy with big feet.....he has big shoes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.