Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed Nissan announced a 12000+ layoff or close to 10% of its' workforce. Just wondering if the massive bad CVT costs had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sure the costs associated with that didn't help them. I haven't looked at sales numbers in a long time, but it seems like the only vehicle keeping them afloat is the Rogue and variants there of. I think the only customer for their sedans is rental car companies and the Murano and Pathfinder? I see so few on the roads.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.................roughly every 3rd or 4th car here in the DFW metroplex is a Nissan of some sort, they really are the cheapest line here in Texas. I've noticed several in a row at traffic lights when looking for it. That of course can bite later.

From what I've gathered on other Nissan sites is that Rogue is one of the most problematic models. Lots of complaints on them about all kinds of things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmmm.................roughly every 3rd or 4th car here in the DFW metroplex is a Nissan of some sort, they really are the cheapest line here in Texas. I've noticed several in a row at traffic lights when looking for it. That of course can bite later.

From what I've gathered on other Nissan sites is that Rogue is one of the most problematic models. Lots of complaints on them about all kinds of things.

I was just about to write the same thing. I'm in Allen just North of Dallas. I see Nissan sedans everywhere up here.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The regional thing is interesting.

In the north east, even though we have plenty of Nissan dealerships, you rarely see anything other than Rogues, some Pathfinders, Muranos and trucks, then maybe some Sentras and Versii.

It didn't used to be that way. In the 1990s until early 2000s, Nissan cars were everywhere. They never held up well in the rust belt, which may contribute to the differences we see regionally.

I've liked Nissan because they make cheap used cars, which is normally what I'm all about. LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to do Ford for the same reason even though you could tell the cars were being made worse to sell more parts. At the time you could get an equivalent Ford in identical loaded condition for $1500-$2500 less than anything else at the 15K-30K miles used car level I prefer to buy to save a lot of cash. That was before moves of late that had them get very fat headed to increase all pricing a whopping amount, yet the cars got no better at all. Worse actually in a lot of cases. Nissan the same way here now but the CVT issues realign that quite a bit.

Here the megadealers are at war, virtually every dealer carries almost ALL brands at his outlets and owning up to 10 or more dealerships. All single brand only shops have been pretty much bought out, we had a huge number of owners come of age to sell out and go to the Bahamas leaving the dealers to the megasharks. Back then they thought 3 brands was the thing, now it's ALL brands, I'd hate to think how much money those guys have invested in all those dealerships. I think the logic now is that if one brand gets out of favor they still offset it with the others taking up slack. The super recalls have probably had something to do with that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The CVT problems has caused financial woes for Nissan (although the management was in denial for the longest time and did not want to admit it) also heavy fleet sales to rental companies and aggressively selling to sub-prime buyers. Everything Nissan has done under the Carlos Ghosn era is starting to unravel. The products value has diminished.

It's really a shame where the company has headed, I hope the next management are actually passionate about the brand and not just aggressively seeking profits .

Even though CVT's are the norm in many other car brands Nissan was the original pusher of CVT's but it seems to be the least reliable.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The CVT problems has caused financial woes for Nissan (although the management was in denial for the longest time and did not want to admit it) also heavy fleet sales to rental companies and aggressively selling to sub-prime buyers. Everything Nissan has done under the Carlos Ghosn era is starting to unravel. The products value has diminished.

It's really a shame where the company has headed, I hope the next management are actually passionate about the brand and not just aggressively seeking profits .

Even though CVT's are the norm in many other car brands Nissan was the original pusher of CVT's but it seems to be the least reliable.
My 2012 Versa CVT went south just around 12,000 miles. Replaced under warranty, and Nissan is so generous that they give you a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on the "new" transmission. What a joke!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why would that 12K mile replacement CVT not be covered under the standard 5yr/60K mile Nissan powertrain warranty? Once you're out of 5yr/60K warranty, then yeah. All parts are 12mo/12K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
PoMan
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing