Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed it takes FOREVER for the heat to arrive when very cold?? I drive for a half hour to work and the temperature barely gets warm! The most mysterious thing is that when you stop at a light, the indicator goes down!!
Once again....I go to the dealer and get the famous "it's normal!!" Just like my bluetooth and transmission that revs so high on a cold engine that I think the car will explode!
Is it me or am I attracting these things?? 6000km's and I want to burn this car along with the constant crap the dealers give me as if it was the only car I have ever had?? I am literally scared to go to any dealer anymore because I swear they must talk about me or something!! Must of received the same rudimentary training at the factory!!
2015 Honda Fit is looking more and more interesting at this point! I even wrote to the corporate headquarters but NO response! Terrible service! My first and last Nissan!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have the older versa but with the same engine. I too found that this little 1.6 does not produce much heat. I can leave my car running for half hour in these temps (10 °f and below) and it doesn't heat up. Though I never really do that. I usually start it up, wait about 30 seconds as I'm checking mirrors and putting on my seatbelt then drive away slowly until up to temp. Which as you said, can take a really long time.

Now if the note has better air flow to the radiator then it would be even longer then my car. You can possibly have a thermostat issue but I'm thinking it is just the tiny engine and really cold conditions.

Do you have active grill shutters? Is there a way you can keep them closed?

If you aren't happy then you should check out the Fit. I think you will find it a much better made vehicle. When I was checking them out they did seem a step above the rest.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Has anybody else noticed it takes FOREVER for the heat to arrive when very cold?? I drive for a half hour to work and the temperature barely gets warm! The most mysterious thing is that when you stop at a light, the indicator goes down!!
Once again....I go to the dealer and get the famous "it's normal!!" Just like my bluetooth and transmission that revs so high on a cold engine that I think the car will explode!
Is it me or am I attracting these things?? 6000km's and I want to burn this car along with the constant crap the dealers give me as if it was the only car I have ever had?? I am literally scared to go to any dealer anymore because I swear they must talk about me or something!! Must of received the same rudimentary training at the factory!!
2015 Honda Fit is looking more and more interesting at this point! I even wrote to the corporate headquarters but NO response! Terrible service! My first and last Nissan!
i would say that this is not normal for this car at all as i also have a half hour commute to work and by about my halfway point to work the heat is already full blast and nice and hot. as far as fit and finish i would say the note and the honda fit are about equal as my buddy with a fit has said as much when comparing our 2 cars about the interior quality and having personally been inside the fit i find it has as much plastic as the note does, although they do a better job of hiding it. as for the idle issue, when i first start up mine from a cold start it does rev to around 1500RPM which i wouldnt consider high, but then settles down to around 1000RPM after around 30 seconds. I'm not sure where to point you as far as dealers cause it seems like all the dealers up in your area are crappy ones and i guess i just lucked out having a dealer that actually takes care of me such as just recently my note started developing a squeaking from the brakes when coming to a stop sometimes, went to dealer and they checked it out, found out it was a build up of brake dust on the rotor and cleaned it...hasnt had the squeaking issue since.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is just the nature of the beast. The more efficient a motor is the less heat it will create. I have a 25 minute drive and it takes a long time for any sort of warm heat to come out of the vents. We are having 0 degree weather here with wind chills in the -10 range and it does not help the car to warm up any faster. Also, it will heat up more quickly if you wait awhile to turn the heater on instead of turning it to full blast when you start the vehicle.

The Fit is going to be superior in terms of build quality and life. If you can afford it, I would go with that. My experience with my '12 sedan hasn't been all that pleasant.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Now that I have better cold weather experience on my Note, I thought I'd revive this tread.

Yes, the heating system on the Note is marginal but not as bad as some people have written. It does produce heat albeit a little slower than any of my other cars. With the recent string of days in the teens, it takes me at least twice as long to have noticeable heat available to turn on my fan.

Mind you, I do not go by the temp gauge which by itself does not seem to have any correlation with the heat coming out of the vents. It may show one bar for quite some time but there could be available heat coming out.

The engine also does not retain heat very long. After parking it for a short time, it takes a bit of time again to get heat coming out. I also noticed, this is my only car that I tend to keep the temp setting at the max heat position for a long time. Typically on my other cars, I can only keep it there for a few minutes unless I want to cook my feet.

Overall, yes it is marginal particularly in northern cold climate areas (e.g. Michigan) but it is tolerable. Not enough to complain about it. I find myself keeping a higher fan speed setting in most cases to keep the cabin comfortable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the heat thus far and we have had a few cold ass nights and mornings. It takes a little while for the motor to get warm, but I found if I warm up my car for 5-10min before the heat works pretty fast. I can usually leave it on just the first bar and feel plenty warm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note and it takes FOREVER to warm up in the Winter. Usually, you've arrived at your destination and it is just starting to get warm and you arrive frozen. Idling doesn't help - at stop lights, the car cools down! Most of my driving is short city driving. I have two other NA vehicles and they warm up within blocks of leaving home.

I've changed the thermostat to a 203 degF and partially blocked the coolant line to the CVT and it still is sucks to drive in the Winter. I'm up in Alberta and we get down to -25 degC and typically between 0 to -15 degC. I will sell this car rather than go through one more Winter freezing my butt off. If I could get some heat out this car, it would be perfect but the lack of heat is a deal breaker.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm up in Alberta and we get down to -25 degC and typically between 0 to -15 degC. I will sell this car rather than go through one more Winter freezing my butt off. If I could get some heat out this car, it would be perfect but the lack of heat is a deal breaker.
Where you live, in the winter do you cover radiator, to reduce cold air flow? I saw people do it in locations with very cold winters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where you live, in the winter do you cover radiator, to reduce cold air flow? I saw people do it in locations with very cold winters.
I slid a piece of cardboard behind the grill to completely cover the radiator except for an 8 inch diameter hole in the middle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts