Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Nissan Versa hatchback 2007, the car experiences acceleration issues when it’s on long drives. For example I recently went to Miami and after around 3hrs the accelerator wouldn’t speed the car up. If I keep pressing it the car loses power and starts “coughing” and struggling. The dealer has examined the car and has said that there’s no issue at all. The issue only shows up on long drives though so perhaps it’s an overheating issue? Could it be a fuel pump problem?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What do you do when this happens? If you stop for a time does it clear up? Or can you just drive for a time and it clears up by itself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you do when this happens? If you stop for a time does it clear up? Or can you just drive for a time and it clears up by itself?
So once the issue starts it doesn’t go away even at slow speeds. I need to stop completely and give the car a rest for an hour or more before it becomes normal again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So once the issue starts it doesn’t go away even at slow speeds. I need to stop completely and give the car a rest for an hour or more before it becomes normal again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Generally speaking a problem that gets better when the engine cools down is related to engine temp. Make sure you have enough coolant (and make sure to 'burp' it when you check) level. An old hose can collapse when hot and then expand back when cool. Thermostat could be closing as it has gotten old. When it's hot , and not running right, is there water (coolant) coming out the tail pipe?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Welcome aboard.

So, is it an automatic? How many miles? Check engine light on or blinking?

It can be a range of stuff. Has the thermostat and antifreeze been serviced? What about the oxygen or tps sensor? Has a tune up beem perform?

Maybe you can tell us more about the car. DId you own it since new, is it service by the dealer and on schedule?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

It is an automatic with around 140k miles. The engine light is off and I got nothing on an OBD2 sensor (tried at autozone). The oxygen and tps sensors have not been serviced and I'd assume the same for the thermostat and antifreeze (i did put in new coolant).

I got the car used.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts