Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

The battery on my '09 Versa is still going strong, after almost 8 years and 66K miles. Maybe I should be proactive and get a new one? I had one battery last (Honda LXi coupe) for 75K miles.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Wait until it quits working then replace it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Greetings:

The battery on my '09 Versa is still going strong, after almost 8 years and 66K miles. Maybe I should be proactive and get a new one? I had one battery last (Honda LXi coupe) for 75K miles.

Thanks for reading.
Have it tested under load, and that will give you the answer. Eight years on a battery is "borrowed time", and if it fails, it will be at the worst possible time, leaving you "dead in the water".

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I am still rocking my battery from 2009. Of all my years of driving, and I keep my cars along time, I only once replaced a battery. It died on me, I jump started the car, drove to the store and purchased a battery.

I am a firm believer in if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Of course now that I typed all of this my battery will probably be dead when I go to leave work :D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have it tested under load, and that will give you the answer. Eight years on a battery is "borrowed time", and if it fails, it will be at the worst possible time, leaving you "dead in the water".
I am still rocking my battery from 2009. Of all my years of driving, and I keep my cars along time, I only once replaced a battery. It died on me, I jump started the car, drove to the store and purchased a battery.

I am a firm believer in if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Of course now that I typed all of this my battery will probably be dead when I go to leave work :D.
Thanks for responding. :smile

·
Registered
49 Posts
When a battery passes below 69% of its original CCAs (actual, not label), the drop-off is precipitous. The end is rapidly near.

I use a Midtronics (conductance, no-load) to KNOW when to replace. I never do load tests (anymore). Counterproductive.

Since shifting to this approach - along with measuring the batteries on the shelf before buying and only buying batteries with CCAs 112% to 120% of rating and only batteries with current month sold stickers and only batteries 12.7V and up - all batteries have lasted between 7 years and 9 years.

Having said that, many factors affect battery life. Temp and vibration (shock) are primary, as is sulfation. Have a desulfation, but have rarely needed to use it, to buy longevity. And, when I did, still fell to 69% soon thereafter, and then battery death (inability to hold charge anymore).

Have seen too many Alts taken out when batteries are allowed to go dead (due to neglect and when the cars are driven until the battery finally dies). The Alts "spike" and take out their Vregs/diodes.

No Alt issues since the above approach either.

Prior to this approach, battery replacements were 4-4.5 years, with a rare 5+.

Oh, and the comparison data is across the same exact cars in the fleet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Walmart "installed" (it was swimming in the battery compartment; not secured) a 51R EverStart battery. I can't believe they left it that way.

I returned it for a 121R, which fits perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts