Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am having a helluva time removing the glove compartment. I have removed ten screws and I am still getting resistance towards the top of the compartment like I am missing something. The bottom portion will move relatively freely, but the top feels as if I haven't removed any of the top screws, which as you can see from the photos, I have.

None of the videos I have found online seem to look identical to my compartment so I am unsure as to whether I am missing a screw that needs to be removed. I feel like if I pull any harder I am going to break my glove box, my dashboard, or both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Its not necessary to change the HVAC air filter. You reach behind it from the floor and towards the middle of the car.

Its got a few hidden screws. You need to feel around and check everywhere.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey all, I am having a helluva time removing the glove compartment. I have removed ten screws and I am still getting resistance towards the top of the compartment like I am missing something. The bottom portion will move relatively freely, but the top feels as if I haven't removed any of the top screws, which as you can see from the photos, I have.

None of the videos I have found online seem to look identical to my compartment so I am unsure as to whether I am missing a screw that needs to be removed. I feel like if I pull any harder I am going to break my glove box, my dashboard, or both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As mentioned by cobb's post, if all you are trying to do is change out the cabin air filter, it is not necessary to remove the glove box. Just make sure you have the proper filter replacement. The correct one does not have a frame around it and can be squeezed like an accordion to fit into the filter box housing. Good luck!!!

See if any of these diagrams relate to your glove box:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nissan+Versa+note+2016+glove+compartment+removal&client=firefox-b-1&biw=1920&bih=982&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=IvjQ4x3Jhglo2M%3A%2CvdCVcOZNlL9bUM%2C_&usg=__RC1MozkhGUJnw30jjNac6IGGzq4=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp-NSskeLbAhXjx1kKHY_3BQAQ9QEILzAC#imgrc=IvjQ4x3Jhglo2M:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to check the blower motor, as I suspect there is a stick or something stuck inside based on the noise it has randomly begun to make. Is this something I remove from a 2016 just by feeling around like mentioned with the air filter?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am trying to check the blower motor, as I suspect there is a stick or something stuck inside based on the noise it has randomly begun to make. Is this something I remove from a 2016 just by feeling around like mentioned with the air filter?
I have a 2012 Versa sedan, and had the same issue you have. I don't know if your year vehicle came with a cabin filter installed from the factory, but the 2012 did NOT have a cabin filter installed when manufactured. What I did when I got a sound similar to yours, was to open the filter access door, and using a vacuum cleaner hose placed up against the filter door opening was able to vacuum out what turned out to be a couple of leaves. As far as getting to the motor, the motor is on the drivers side of the filter box, and is not easily accessible for cleaning or removal. Below is a series of posts that have pictures of the cabin filter box on the passenger side, just disregard the part about removing the glove box. I believe that Nissan now has the "missing" cabin filter on their parts list so if you do not have a filter installed, you can buy one from your dealer, or pick one of the after market filters that will fit.

https://www.nissanversaforums.com/general-versa-discussion/6505-2012-sedan-glove-box-removal.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, based on the smell in my car yesterday night when I got off work, it's probably not leaves or a stick as I had previously hoped. So I don't think a vacuum will work. I guess this means I will actually have to go to a shop to get it fixed which is an expense I am not looking forward to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had mice make a nest in the blower motor in a previous car. Required the removal of the motor and the housing. Smell was pretty bad as I turned on the fan and caught one of the little fellows in it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Crawled back into the car despite the death smell and am currently on the driver's side as referenced above. None of these seem to look like the blower motor referenced in videos for older models. Am I missing something? Is this hopeless?
The motor is up much higher up than where you are looking, thats what makes it a pain in the rear to get it out. It is really wedged in between a number of cables and wires. One of the diagrams below gives you some idea of how high up the motor itself is located. Number 16 is the motor.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Nissan-276753VE0A-Genuine-OEM-Thermo-Sensor/1737398744?iid=132510529434&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=44040&meid=19a1bfc59add4b9c8037c1ee6f29f89d&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=10&sd=183215576353&itm=132510529434&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Wonder why they stacked it behind the center of the dash vs putting it on the passenger side like other manufactures do?

Guess it makes it easier to make the car right or left hand drive?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wonder why they stacked it behind the center of the dash vs putting it on the passenger side like other manufactures do?

Guess it makes it easier to make the car right or left hand drive?
The funny thing is that the motor WAS on the passenger side up until 2010-2011 I believe, and then they deiced to put it on the drivers side making it almost impossible to get out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
How is any human being supposed to see or do anything up there? Do either of these photos show the blower motor? Perhaps the one with an ominous pink/red goo seeping from it?
Thats the bugger...............Did a search on Youtube, and found one guy who actually got the motor out, and it wasn't pretty. He had to work upside down with his legs and feet up in the air. He admitted that he had to work at intervals because the position was so uncomfortable. Nissan outdid themselves with that FIASCO!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am not surprised that Nissan engineering does something like that. I come to the conclusion that the Nissan engineering department has a target to reduce manufacturing cost and increase the repair labor cost for their dealer repair shop.

Let look at my 07 Versa. The manifold is on top of the engine. Therefore, a simple 30 minutes spark plug change will take at least 2 hours to complete. I had to remove the manifold first to get access to the spark plugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Its not uncommon that many hvac service issues with the heater core or evaporator takes major surgery and costs a good 8 hours of surgery to get to it removing the dash and associated parts.

Usually most blowers are easily accessible at the passenger foot well on American models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts