Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a used 2017 nissan Versa Note SV from a rental company the other day. It has about 43,000 miles on it and has no record of having the transmission fluid checked. In fact when the salesperson showed me the inspection list, the transmission fluid level/condition was completely skipped. I assumed it was because it was a sealed transmission like on many automatics these days so I didn't think much of it.

However I notice that when I accelerate, as certain speeds are reached the engine seems to REV a bit then drop down in RPM by a large amount, almost like the transmission is slipping. The car pulsates or slightly jerks at these times. There is also a "lugging" feel to it when accelerating very slowly. This being my first car with a CVT I would like to know how smooth it is supposed to be. I have read online that sometimes a CVT sounds like it's slipping because the pulleys are adjusting themselves to pre-set positions and that CVT transmissions do not have perfectly "infinite" gear ratios." How true is this?

The manual says to inspect the transmission fluid at 40,000 miles so I was considering having the fluid changed because this being a rental car it was most likely weighted down with cargo and packed with family members. The manual says to inspect/replace the fluid on if a cartop carrier was used.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I purchased a used 2017 nissan Versa Note SV from a rental company the other day. It has about 43,000 miles on it and has no record of having the transmission fluid checked. In fact when the salesperson showed me the inspection list, the transmission fluid level/condition was completely skipped. I assumed it was because it was a sealed transmission like on many automatics these days so I didn't think much of it.

However I notice that when I accelerate, as certain speeds are reached the engine seems to REV a bit then drop down in RPM by a large amount, almost like the transmission is slipping. The car pulsates or slightly jerks at these times. There is also a "lugging" feel to it when accelerating very slowly. This being my first car with a CVT I would like to know how smooth it is supposed to be. I have read online that sometimes a CVT sounds like it's slipping because the pulleys are adjusting themselves to pre-set positions and that CVT transmissions do not have perfectly "infinite" gear ratios." How true is this?

The manual says to inspect the transmission fluid at 40,000 miles so I was considering having the fluid changed because this being a rental car it was most likely weighted down with cargo and packed with family members. The manual says to inspect/replace the fluid on if a cartop carrier was used.
As another poster mentioned, your car is still under warranty, and I would take it to the dealer and have them look to see if there is a problem. They have diagnostic programs that can analyze the tranny to see if anything is amiss. Good Luck................

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took the car in for them to look at the transmission and after they took it for a test drive they said there was definitely something wrong with it. Now they want to repair it under warranty by removing the valve body and inspect it, then they will be told (by the manufacturer) to either replace the valve body or the transmission. I have heard from others that Nissan just replaces the whole transmission rather than messing around with rebuilding parts from it. This is absurd for a vehicle with less than 45,000 to have a bad transmission. Also ridiculous is that the warranty on a new transmission is 12,000 miles even though it would be the same exact one. If a new car comes with the 60,000 powertrain warranty then a new transmission should have the same 60,000 mile warranty.

I got into a circular argument with one of the service reps. He told me the transmission was sealed and that there's no way to inspect the fluid. I referred him to the car's manual which says to "inspect" the transmission after so many miles. So I asked him what "inspect" means and he told me it meant paying $200 for a transmission fluid change. The manual does not say to REPLACE the fluid, it says to INSPECT the fluid, which is not possible unless you were to replace it anyway?

And also, Nissan extended the warranty on some older model Versas to 80,000 or 100,000 miles that use the same exact transmission, so nothing has changed yet the new Nissans come with less warranty even though they have the same parts/problems.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I took the car in for them to look at the transmission and after they took it for a test drive they said there was definitely something wrong with it. Now they want to repair it under warranty by removing the valve body and inspect it, then they will be told (by the manufacturer) to either replace the valve body or the transmission. I have heard from others that Nissan just replaces the whole transmission rather than messing around with rebuilding parts from it. This is absurd for a vehicle with less than 45,000 to have a bad transmission. Also ridiculous is that the warranty on a new transmission is 12,000 miles even though it would be the same exact one. If a new car comes with the 60,000 powertrain warranty then a new transmission should have the same 60,000 mile warranty.

I got into a circular argument with one of the service reps. He told me the transmission was sealed and that there's no way to inspect the fluid. I referred him to the car's manual which says to "inspect" the transmission after so many miles. So I asked him what "inspect" means and he told me it meant paying $200 for a transmission fluid change. The manual does not say to REPLACE the fluid, it says to INSPECT the fluid, which is not possible unless you were to replace it anyway?

And also, Nissan extended the warranty on some older model Versas to 80,000 or 100,000 miles that use the same exact transmission, so nothing has changed yet the new Nissans come with less warranty even though they have the same parts/problems.
In my case, the main control valve in the transmission was bad, and they were directed by Nissan not to make the repair, but replace the entire transmission. My vehicle had just under 12,000 miles on it when the transmission went south. Nissan has has an abnormal amount of cvt failures, and I would never again buy a car with that type of tranny. If the dealership gets the approval to make the repair by replacing the failed part, and it fixes things, and you are given the one year warranty, so be it. I would venture a guess that they will be advised to swap the whole unit out. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Tech gave you some bad information (how unusual): Each Nissan dealership has a reader that will read the dirt level (for lack of a better term) in your trans fluid. They just pull the dipstick out and run it under the reader. Most dealerships do it each time you get an oil change. At the last oil change (48,000 miles) I was told my 16 note was not near needing a cvt fluid change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Alan_nc
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing