Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks in advance for your patience..... It is a little long story.....

I am a student with low income and without car-fixing experiences. Bought a second-hand nissan versa 2008 on 180000 kms from someone a month ago.
Regularly, I drive it from home to university - only couple of kms. Two weeks ago, I drove it for tens of kms including highway. Then, the engine light is on when driving.

The exact performance/problem is: after long runs >>>> yield when approach intersections >>>> push accelerator for speeding up - but the car moves very slowly even if I push accelerator to the end >>>> the problem disappears only if I turn the vehicle off and restart >>>> however, appear again after driving a while...

After that day, I drive it regularly at short distance. That problem did not happen. I am afraid of its re-happening. So use code machine to detect error code. The code is P0746 (P0746 Nissan Pressure Control Solenoid A Performance OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com), which has several possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
- Line pressure solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Line pressure solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection.

Then I take it to Nissan dealer. Dealer told me the cause is that incorrect transmission fluid is being used in the transmission system. The correct one should be NS-2 for CVT. The repair suggestion he gave me is to replace the whole transmission module - which would cost $4400. My car was bought at only $2700.

My questions are:
1) Is it possible that the aforementioned problem is caused by incorrect transmission fluid? High possibility?
2) Certainly, I would not replace the whole transmission module at the cost of $4400. Can I just flush the transmission and change fluid with correct one (NS-2)? Will the problem disappear?
3) Do you recommend replacing the transmission with a used one if the engine light is still on after fluid change? The price on ebay is 2 to 4 hundred bucks.

Much appreciate for your pro opinions and suggestions. Thanks for your time!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you need to break the problem down into manageable pieces. I would start with a fluid change with the correct fluid. I'm not sure if the trans can be flushed, make sure that's OK before you agree to anyone doing it. Because a fluid change does not change all the fluid you may have to do it twice to get good clean fluid in there. Beyond that I would check that the electrical connection is both clean and tight. Beyond that, you get to whether it is worth fixing worth fixing.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
definitely try to flush the transmission first. CVT fluid is expensive so that will probably run you a couple of hundred bucks if you do it twice which I would recommend. If that doesn't fix it I would definitely go the used route. Personally I wouldn't spend $4,400 on a fully functioning 2008 Versa. So spending that much to repair one seems ridiculous.

Another thing I might look into is if the tranny is done is possibly selling the car as a mechanics special. If I could get $2k for it as is I might eat a little money and be done with the car all together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your analyses!!!

A weird thing happened today.... the engine light is off automatically..... keep eyes on it for the following days or weeks --- to see if it will appear again..... if yes, go to flush the transmision system firstly....

·
Registered
440 Posts
You need to change the fluid ASAP. Transmission fluids have various friction modifiers and other components that are specific to transmissions. By not changing the fluid and knowing the wrong stuff is in there and that it could cost you $4400 doesnt make any sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.