Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

So my issue started when my wife was driving her 2007 Nissan versa last week when it felt like it was sputtering and misfiring. After diagnostics it found the transmission was bad and had to be replaced. Great news it that it was still within warranty for another 7,000 miles. Nissan fixed the issue and 3 days later I went to pick up the car. Driving home realized the a/c was not blowing cold at all. Keep in mind prior to taking the car to the dealership there were absolutely NO issues with the air. Got cold very quick and stood cold. The dealership said all the a/c stuff is on the opposite side of where they were working and must just be a coincidence. They stated they would "charge it up" but no telling how lng it would last...It didn't even work, the a/c still does not get cold. Service manager basically said "I know it looks bad but not related at all to the work they were doing"...I really feel helpless :( What are your thoughts ??

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

So, it wont work or wont hold a charge? Lots of parts to the AC and low freon will make it not work.

Will they at least diagnose it for you to see what is wrong?

What was the previous service done? Maybe they had to unplug something for service or remove a part?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They offered and charged it however it made no difference at all ...Still just blowing hot air...They said it is the evaporator core and that it can in no way be related to replacing the transmission but when I tell you the air was working perfect prior, I mean no signs of any issues. If the car has a continuous variable transmission "ctv" the evaporator core part is different, does that mean the transmission and the evaporator are linked ? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
688 Posts
They offered and charged it however it made no difference at all ...Still just blowing hot air...They said it is the evaporator core and that it can in no way be related to replacing the transmission but when I tell you the air was working perfect prior, I mean no signs of any issues. If the car has a continuous variable transmission "ctv" the evaporator core part is different, does that mean the transmission and the evaporator are linked ? Thanks for any input!
The evaporator coil has no connection with the transmission, and is strictly an a/c component. In a typical passenger car or pickup truck, the evaporator is usually located inside the passenger compartment, quite often deeply buried in or under the instrument panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that is what the dealership told me as well...Guess anything is possible but the fact is was 100% functional and after 2 days on the lift in your shop it just happens to go bad and not blow anything close to cold air...Is my luck just really that bad ??

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
So, must be driven daily? Guess sitting cause the fluid to settle and the gas to escape.

Are you afraid to use a can of freon with leak sealer at your local auto store? They are like 20 bucks and work well if you are low on freon or have a pin hole leak.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would take the car to someone trustworthy and knows cars or a third party shop and 100% verify that removing the trans has nothing to do with the system. That may be wrong depending on the design. Whether the shop including any dealer will tell the truth? I myself don't accept anything they say but then I haven't for 40+ years, I do all my own work and it stops things like that from happening.

Looking at the coincidence there and unlikely BUT..................................it IS possible the 10 year old car did something on it's own to fault the a/c. It happens. Odds say no though. You always look at the common facts there.

A simple vacuum test by itself will tell if there is a leak there now, that by itself shouldn't cost much.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
+1 on the vacuum test. I believe autozone will lend you a pump if you want to see if you got a leak and the system is already empty. As is you should see a reading on either high or low side of the same psi if its charged.

When I work or worked on cars I try not to open the ac system and will use zip ties, wire, belts that hold your pants up, etc to secure the ac compressor off to the side if I need to move an engine in a car. Sometimes you get an instant leak if you move or flex the ac lines too far and have to reposition the parts.

The evaporator is inside the dash board near the heater core so the only thing they could of done was damage the connectors at the firewall. They do develop pin hole leaks, but they leak slowly like over a few months. This is why some cars need a can of freon each summer.

The condenser under the hood can get pin hole leaks, but most get a chip, lug nut, etc kicked up from a vehicle in front of you and cause a serious leak that causes the ac to quit in a manner of minutes. :surprise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts