Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a "note" on the Internet (so it must be true) that Nissan is dropping the Note this coming year. Hate to see that. I really like my 16 and would be thinking about getting another one next year.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hang around for a while............it may not necessarily happen, Nissan having Ghozn jailed may have flipped that on its' head. He was pushing to make Nissan close to 100% electric cars in 3 years and recent issues with Tesla as well may modify some of that.

I will say this..............the company that does NOT abandon smaller cars to go to SUVs only will rule the earth with the next fuel shortage or huge fuel price increase. Somebody will step in to fill that niche.

The marketing guys now come from the same place the incompetent engineers came from.............they never could focus long enough to make a quarter pounder correctly 10 times straight without messing up.........the 'Rule of McDonalds', which has replaced the Peter Principle in business now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, lets hope the car companies get out of the SUV Truck phase fairly soon. They make so much money on the 'big' stuff it's going to be hard for them to give them up. Not a lot of profit in a Note.

But.....we're the guilty ones.....they will only make what we will buy. Or maybe in some cases what they can force us to buy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, how does it feel to be herded into a corner you don't want to go into? I myself will NOT buy an SUV because it is all they will offer, but then late enough in my life that I have other options.

Nissan board I'm thinking wants to go back to being their own boss, it wasn't until Ghozn decided to do away with the triumvirate 'neutrality' that Nissan made its' Ghozn move, after he made it clear he was going to dissolve the Nissan name to name it as part of Renault permanently. The move came days after that. Those Japanese guys had been seething for some time, Nissan made most of the associations' profits but were not credited with it. All you heard was 'Ghozn, Ghozn'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just my 2 cents but with the Renault/Nissan deal I think it will be hard to pass up the small car market. The companies share alot of parts with eachother for example the Dacia Duster and Sandero (I even think the Logan as well) have nissan parts or parts that bolt into Nissan with no fab work. The Clio uses the same transmssion and engine as some Nissan. Yes it was worked on by both Nissan and Renault but why would they just throw all that away? The Versa/Almera/Tiida/Latio/Sunny (Renault Scala and Dodge Trazo) are all the same car, the N17. Yes the Sunny and Micra have changed names to be the likes of the Sentra and what not. But its still all on the B-platform which is used by other models like the Note, so why waste it? Ford left the car business so thats a rival down. So whos genna fill the small car department but the original small car experts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was at the Nissan dealer yesterday picking up my new Versa S and mentioned this to the sales guy. He had also heard about it. He also said that it was his understanding that Nissan is bringing back the Juke for the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It is a company mistake to give all that buying power away but Detroit in todays' world may be stupid enough to do it. Thinking you are going to force more sales to the higher priced models creates an ideal spot for somebody to jump in and take market share. You would have thought they already got that message but in a world of 'facts are not facts', the DAs of the world rally to find 'power' but it almost always backfires on you when you get it truly, you are not smart enough to handle it. The REAL facts of day-to-day work effort then cut you to pieces.

The 'jobs' created now tell one that if you are smart enough to know what to look for..............of course there are more jobs, what happens when you take every one and split it up to give it to 3 temps now, but you won't hear one word about THAT in the news. Just ask what those jobs pay, I did a LOT around 5 years ago and glad I gave up re-training to run CNC manufacturing machines, the pay had crashed by like 70%. My printing pay did the same, dropped by 80% in some cases. The companies now get such incompetent help that they cannot stay on top of all the errors created, so they went the other way, to lower pay enough the errors hopefully can be glossed over enough by the profits to not impact bottom lines. Why when you go somewhere with the best training and experience in the world they STILL low ball you, hoping you cave in to get maximum freebie benefit but not caring if you don't.

The last 3 companies I worked at as a manager balked heavily when I tried to get them to clean house of worthless employees, they complained it cost them more to row through them than to suffer their incompetence all day long. Of course when I put figures to paper showing the realworld losses they did not want to see them, management at its' finest. You gotta remember they are 'Rule of McDonalds' graduates too.

All of this is why the car makers risk greatly going to upper end only as an escape, just ask J C Penney how well that is working right now.............they fool you for a while (EVERYBODY is in the 'new' normal now where truth is not to be found and it includes the familys' fake economics and by extension prosperity), but then the end gets ugly.

If Nissan can get through the situation it is in now to become clean of overhead meddling and bump the quality up some while still keeping cost low (Ford was the cheap car company until the turn of the century, now it is Nissan) this may be their moment to take over the car world.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is yet another layer: car manufactures heavily condition consumers in the USA to buy expensive, with a lot of mandatory options vehicles. You generally are not able to see here offerings for compacts pickups or hatches. However if you go abroad to Europe, you will see a lot of budget cars from the same manufacturers, but unavailable here in the US. And a lot of them are stick shift, which becomes rarity here. They call it a regional marketing...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did a little digging and found out that in UK they dont wanna compete with the Micra and Note against eachother since its basiclly the same class car. So the Note got the ax over seas. Fine makes sense however I stumbled into the Canadian market and no Versa sedan is avalible (as of writing this post). So I am not sure if theres genna be a refresh of the line up. Or to be perfectly honest what that means, if anything at all. I heard some rumors (and please let me know if this is true or not i didnt look into to deep) but the kick is not doing to good. And that the Juke is possible genna make a comeback like 19versa said. I kinda of believe that the Juke may make a comeback as it is still sold over seas in the asian markets. However nothing is concrete. But if this is true the Juke takes the Notes place. What do you all think?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Doesn't matter what model they call it, you need to be able to buy a bottom dollar car with zero frills. They claim they can't make it. Bullsh-t. It just would have to price a bit higher, but the issue is that the corporations do not want profits below certain points now and those points are now utterly ridiculous.

I in my last 'real' job printed financials for major corporations. The profit levels they now want because Clinton let the banks into stocks to be on every BOD has warped things in incredibly dangerous ways. I saw like restaurant chains who CLOSED brand lines that made under 100% profits, they think the stores don't make enough money. And other crazy things. Whatever happened to the business school training that said if you beyond all costs made a solid 15% profit you would stay in business forever?, it has been gone for a long time now and they give all extra to the BOD as 'offerings to the gods'. The bankers are like lawyers now, the more incredible the profits they can make the better businessmen they are called. The wimpy copycat American twitter (the name so fits there!) public is their working fluid.

They want $6-10K+ profit and more on every single thing they sell now, you can't get that out of a car small enough you can only get $1K out of. They don't want to have to build and sell 6 to get the $6K, that's the banks on the BODs talking to them there. When you drop building 6 widgets to make only one, somebody gets the axe. You don't create jobs that way. Get ready to register as a temp worker and likely never have a 'real' job again, most temp positions are moving away from temp-to-hire now, it is now becoming acceptable for major corporations to allow that, sorry, we never noticed that. Lucky me, I still have a job, too bad for you, until it happens to you. The new normal.

I for one could not get a job past 55 years old, now that has moved down to 35, Be careful people, if they cannot rape you hard on pay you can't get hired permanently at 35 years old now. The more experience you have the worse it will be. The true reality of all the jobs we are 'creating' now.

Another thing. Basic cars simply do not have most of the systems that break down now, a larger and larger percentage of new car sales are due to nuisance breakages on the higher tier cars now, or gimmicky add-ons that the buyer grew to think he can't do without and then when they break he 'must have a new car', he feels he does not look good to his neighbors and friends. The $1000+ repair bill only makes him do it faster.......lead like a sheep. Take a loss on the used car and another on the new. Then it's hope THIS one doesn't break........until it does.

We as buyers here in the US have turned into whiny little children when it comes to our cars and why they have to redesign them every 2 years now instead of 4-5 like it used to be. To add more systems that break fast of course. They do NOT want to sell you a car that can last for years while all the time telling you it will.

What things gravitated toward once the modern computer car began to routinely hit 300K+ miles in life.

The cars last too long now, they had to have a way to get those lost sales back in another way. They then drop making the ones that saved you the most money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's an article differentiating Versa sedan vs Versa hatchback timelines.

QUOTE: According to the company’s 2019 order guide, obtained by CarsDirect, production of the Versa Note will end in April this year, which signals the model is most likely being phased out. Our source reports the future of the Versa Sedan looks safe for now – there are no indications in Nissan’s order guides that it will be discontinued this year. In fact, it is expected to stick around until at least 2020 when it will need a major update with safety and assist systems to stay on sale.

https://www.motor1.com/news/307453/nissan-could-kill-versa-note/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maybe they will start selling the Micra here...or since Nissan/Renault owns Mitsubishi, they will send all us cheapskates who want just a basic hatchback toward the Mirage, which starts at around $14,000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea, lets hope the car companies get out of the SUV Truck phase fairly soon. They make so much money on the 'big' stuff it's going to be hard for them to give them up. Not a lot of profit in a Note.

But.....we're the guilty ones.....they will only make what we will buy. Or maybe in some cases what they can force us to buy.
I'd love to see a new "micro car" trend. Imagine a Nissan Versa pickup truck?

·
Registered
16 Posts
China will fill the need for smaller and less profitable cars.
China will demand the auto manufacturer build a factory in China. Then steal the designs and build their own after kicking the corporation out of the country for bogus violations.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just saw a "note" on the Internet (so it must be true) that Nissan is dropping the Note this coming year. Hate to see that. I really like my 16 and would be thinking about getting another one next year.
Yes, Nissan is dropping the Note; 2019 will be the last year for the Note in the US. I too hate to see that. I have a 14 Note and love it. I hope to own it for at least 20 years and pass it on to my son when he is old enough to drive.

I will say this..............the company that does NOT abandon smaller cars to go to SUVs only will rule the earth with the next fuel shortage or huge fuel price increase. Somebody will step in to fill that niche.

The marketing guys now come from the same place the incompetent engineers came from.............they never could focus long enough to make a quarter pounder correctly 10 times straight without messing up.........the 'Rule of McDonalds', which has replaced the Peter Principle in business now.
This shift to SUVs is such a shame. Car companies claim that we the consumers demand SUVs and point to the skyrocketing SUV sales as evidence but the truth is that they are not giving us a choice because they're phasing out all their sedans/coupes/hatchbacks/station wagons/minivans. I don't blame them; the SUVs make huge profits compared to comparable hatchbacks (i.e. Kicks/Juke vs. Note).

They have introduced sub-compact SUVs and hybrid SUVs in recent years claiming that they get similar gas mileage as small sedans/coupes/hatchbacks but it's just an excuse to make more SUVs. They're not even as practical as a hatchback; larger exterior dimensions but smaller interior space. My Versa Note has awesome interior space.

I grew up with midsize sedans such as the Sonata, Camry, and Accord. The Versa Note is the first "small" car that I have owned (although it is the same width as the old Camrys and Accords, and sigificantly taller) and I love it. Easy to maneuver, easy to park. Very efficient use of interior space considering that its exterior dimensions are actually smaller than the original Versa hatchback. I love the barebones features; I don't need Bluetooth, leather-wrapped steering wheel, navigation, etc. I just need an affordable car with a new-car warranty.

Yes, how does it feel to be herded into a corner you don't want to go into? I myself will NOT buy an SUV because it is all they will offer, but then late enough in my life that I have other options.
I was already planning to buy used for my next car for other reasons (i.e. pedestrian safety laws resulting in raised beltlines, smaller windows, and reduced aerodynamics) but this SUV push is probably the last straw. I'd rather buy a used car than have a new SUV shoved down my throat.

If they offer us non-SUV cars and then let us know about it (i.e. marketing, advertisements), maybe we'd buy it. If they offered a Prius V with the third row like they do in all other countries, maybe more people would consider it (I would) and not have to settle for a Rav4 hybrid. Same thing with manual transmissions. My Versa Note has a CVT but I plan to buy a '12 Mustang next, with a manual transmission. If the Versa sedan/Note manual transmission had a taller 5th gear, I might've considered it.

There is yet another layer: car manufactures heavily condition consumers in the USA to buy expensive, with a lot of mandatory options vehicles. You generally are not able to see here offerings for compacts pickups or hatches. However if you go abroad to Europe, you will see a lot of budget cars from the same manufacturers, but unavailable here in the US. And a lot of them are stick shift, which becomes rarity here. They call it a regional marketing...
It is so frustrating at the lack of simple, lightly-equipped cars and it's getting worse with time. My '14 Note doesn't come with Bluetooth or a backup camera and at least had an option for a manual transmission; the '19 Note now comes standard with Bluetooth and a backup camera and no longer offers the option for a manual transmission (CVT only).

Back when I was shopping for my '14 Note in September 2013, my first choice was actually a '13 Accord. At the last minute, I changed my mind from the Accord to the Note because the Accord no longer had the DX trim level (the LX is now the "base" trim level). I didn't want Bluetooth, alloy wheels, backup camera, and other bells and whistles that came standard with the LX. It was a shame because my family and I are loyal Accord customers; we have owned 3 Accords and they're excellent cars.

I did a little digging and found out that in UK they dont wanna compete with the Micra and Note against eachother since its basiclly the same class car. So the Note got the ax over seas. Fine makes sense however I stumbled into the Canadian market and no Versa sedan is avalible (as of writing this post). So I am not sure if theres genna be a refresh of the line up. Or to be perfectly honest what that means, if anything at all. I heard some rumors (and please let me know if this is true or not i didnt look into to deep) but the kick is not doing to good. And that the Juke is possible genna make a comeback like 19versa said. I kinda of believe that the Juke may make a comeback as it is still sold over seas in the asian markets. However nothing is concrete. But if this is true the Juke takes the Notes place. What do you all think?
It turns out that the Kicks (and I guess the Juke) will indirectly replace the Note here in the US. What a shame; I will not consider either the Kicks or the Juke.

Doesn't matter what model they call it, you need to be able to buy a bottom dollar car with zero frills. They claim they can't make it. Bullsh-t. It just would have to price a bit higher, but the issue is that the corporations do not want profits below certain points now and those points are now utterly ridiculous.

They want $6-10K+ profit and more on every single thing they sell now, you can't get that out of a car small enough you can only get $1K out of. They don't want to have to build and sell 6 to get the $6K, that's the banks on the BODs talking to them there. When you drop building 6 widgets to make only one, somebody gets the axe. You don't create jobs that way. Get ready to register as a temp worker and likely never have a 'real' job again, most temp positions are moving away from temp-to-hire now, it is now becoming acceptable for major corporations to allow that, sorry, we never noticed that. Lucky me, I still have a job, too bad for you, until it happens to you. The new normal.

Another thing. Basic cars simply do not have most of the systems that break down now, a larger and larger percentage of new car sales are due to nuisance breakages on the higher tier cars now, or gimmicky add-ons that the buyer grew to think he can't do without and then when they break he 'must have a new car', he feels he does not look good to his neighbors and friends. The $1000+ repair bill only makes him do it faster.......lead like a sheep. Take a loss on the used car and another on the new. Then it's hope THIS one doesn't break........until it does.

We as buyers here in the US have turned into whiny little children when it comes to our cars and why they have to redesign them every 2 years now instead of 4-5 like it used to be. To add more systems that break fast of course. They do NOT want to sell you a car that can last for years while all the time telling you it will.

What things gravitated toward once the modern computer car began to routinely hit 300K+ miles in life.

The cars last too long now, they had to have a way to get those lost sales back in another way. They then drop making the ones that saved you the most money.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, as long as car companies remain for-profit, I do not see the shift towards SUVs changing unless something drastic happens (i.e. gas prices go up to $10/gallon). Even then, people and/or car companies will just point towards sub-compact and compact SUVs as an excuse. I really hope enough people wise up and demand non-SUV alternatives; I think that's the only way we can stop this.

Maybe they will start selling the Micra here...or since Nissan/Renault owns Mitsubishi, they will send all us cheapskates who want just a basic hatchback toward the Mirage, which starts at around $14,000.
I like the Note better than the Micra but I'd take a Micra over a SUV any day.

I considered the Mirage hatch back when I was shopping for my Note but eliminated the Mirage from consideration because even the base DE trim level came with too many bells and whistles (i.e. automatic climate control).

I'd love to see a new "micro car" trend. Imagine a Nissan Versa pickup truck?
A Versa pickup truck would be interesting. It'd at least be a true compact pickup truck, which we haven't had in the US since the Ranger was discontinued almost 10 years ago.

China will demand the auto manufacturer build a factory in China. Then steal the designs and build their own after kicking the corporation out of the country for bogus violations.
I will never buy a car made in China. I have already been boycotting any China-made products for several years, only buying them if they are severely discounted, making them essentially free. I do not want them making a profit off of me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
What's funny is that the latest things going on in the Middle East may well flop all this 100% upside down...........it may well show us how smart (or not) the guys at the top of the OEMs REALLY are.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hyundai is going to benefit greatly. I had the 09 Versa parked next to a 19 Hyundai Kona the other day and size wise externally, they were practically identical.
I have also been around the new Kicks, and I do not like it. Feels very cramped and awkward to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hyundai is going to benefit greatly. I had the 09 Versa parked next to a 19 Hyundai Kona the other day and size wise externally, they were practically identical.
I have also been around the new Kicks, and I do not like it. Feels very cramped and awkward to me.
Just because the Kona has similar exterior dimensions as the Versa doesn't mean that it has the same interior space or practicality. SUVs are more cramped inside than hatchbacks/minivans due to the higher floor among other design elements, even if they have similar or larger exterior dimensions. Horribly inefficient vehicles in terms of interior space, practicality, and fuel efficiency not to mention more dangerous due to the higher center of gravity but I guess that hasn't stopped anyone from buying them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts