Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Since we know that versa's/tiida's dont have temperature gauge... i was wondering how can we know if the car is getting heated above normal ?

The red light on dash only comes on when the temperature is critically high.

Lets take this scenario:

Any car normally has constant engine temperature reading after warmup. My dad's civic warmed up to the same temperature for 12 years - wouldnt move a degree no matter what the outside condition/traffic. Only once he had a minor problem, that was when he stopped in traffic, the needle would move up "a noticeable LITTLE", and when the car moved, the needle would go back again. This was in safe levels, however he took the car to a garage, and he said some pump or fan or something is damaged (i was a kid that time), and it was a cheap fix - <$20. And it was rock solid perfect again.
But to determine this issue, he had to see the needle move.

How could we determine if something like this happens to our versa?
We dont have temperature needle :(

I really want to know where my temperature stands, and how it reacts in traffic, and how it reacts when i rev to 6000 rpm. Also i want to know if my normal temperatures are above normal, then i would change my coolant-water mixture, but where is the neeeeeeeedle !

The red light on dash is for something thats extreme heating, but i want to see if my temperature is normal for day to day operation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just purchased my versa and was thinking of this issue as well. I have an aftermarket Autometer gauge from my eclipse that i sold and was thinking of installing it on the versa just to see what the temperature is. I agree though ussually a temperature light comes on just in time to tell you to shut off the engine before any real damage happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When i first got my versa, the lack of the temperature gauge was bothering me and i reseached simple solutions, the one i decided on was an ELM 327 ODBII bluetooth module that i use with my Nexus 7 and the Torque App, it displays realtime information, and its extremely easy to setup.
heres a picture of the setup, this specific picture doesn't have the temp gauge on it, but it can very easily be added.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/184097_368268766583034_1699096899_n.jpg

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi,

Since we know that versa's/tiida's dont have temperature gauge... i was wondering how can we know if the car is getting heated above normal ?

The red light on dash only comes on when the temperature is critically high.

Lets take this scenario:

Any car normally has constant engine temperature reading after warmup. My dad's civic warmed up to the same temperature for 12 years - wouldnt move a degree no matter what the outside condition/traffic. Only once he had a minor problem, that was when he stopped in traffic, the needle would move up "a noticeable LITTLE", and when the car moved, the needle would go back again. This was in safe levels, however he took the car to a garage, and he said some pump or fan or something is damaged (i was a kid that time), and it was a cheap fix - <$20. And it was rock solid perfect again.
But to determine this issue, he had to see the needle move.

How could we determine if something like this happens to our versa?
We dont have temperature needle :(

I really want to know where my temperature stands, and how it reacts in traffic, and how it reacts when i rev to 6000 rpm. Also i want to know if my normal temperatures are above normal, then i would change my coolant-water mixture, but where is the neeeeeeeedle !

The red light on dash is for something thats extreme heating, but i want to see if my temperature is normal for day to day operation.
If you don't mind spending the money, the Scanguage will not only give you your engine temperature, but about 17 other readouts.

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree that it is stupid not to have a gauge.

Who knows what temperature actually triggers the light....so the only thing really to do is install an aftermarket coolant temp sensor/gauge. Also, make sure the coolant is in good shape.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
^especially in hotter climes
Fortunately my mind is eased a bit cuz my Altima and Sentra's temp gauges promptly moved to just under half scale, and stayed as if glued, even when 35degC with A/C on in stop n go traffic [happens at border crossings frequently:)]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the scangauge 2....i was going to install an autometer temp gauge that i already had, but i read up on the scangauge and thats definatly the way to go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Water Temperature Gauge

I just recently purchased a Nissan Versa Note 2015 and I did not realize till I drove it for a couple of days that it does not have a Water Temperature Gauge which is ridiculous. Now I am trying to find a solution, simple and easy that does not compromise the vehicle warranty but still have the benefits of that gauge.

Is there any good suggestions out there ??Phone apps , update the trip computer, mount,stick something on a coolant hose ?????

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you have the lowly S cluster (like me), you do not get a water temp gauge. I stuck a ScanGauge to the top of my steering column to monitor intake and water temps. It doesnt look awesome, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: Kadelic

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I think that looks awesome.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Surprised they took out the Temp gauge.... a downgrade for sure

...But Nissan will do whatever it takes to keep the "cheapest car in America" title. Surprised they don't offer it on the higher trim packages, but they probably did away with it all together so nobody would "notice".

Now the new "upgrades" mean no speaker wires on the base and no temp gauge on all models.... soon power windows will be gone.>:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Upsetting...

Geez, fellas, I was really excited to find a car with manual windows; and then to find out that it's not the preferred choice!
The lack of a temperature gauge, though, has to be a plus. No more removing bulbs or duct taping flashing lights. It's just one less distraction for a trying-to-be safe driver.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm glad I didn't purchase one of those... No temp gauge, rear speakers and a one piece headrest? That is a bit too cheap for me.
I rather enjoy the stripped down cheapness of my car. It makes even the smallest upgrades so much more gratifying.

And I didn't think I would originally, but I actually like the one piece headrests. :erm:

Reactions: Ccstreets
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.