Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2013 Versa with cvt transmission, just recently started to fail, some times while driving loses acceleration like gas pedal gets umplugged no rpm after 5 or 10 seconds comes back to life .
when this happens if car is put in Neutral gas pedal works just fine put back in D don't work.

Took to dealer vehicle has no codes no check engine on couldn't figure out!!

Any ideass???

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just bought 2013 Versa with cvt transmission, just recently started to fail, some times while driving loses acceleration like gas pedal gets umplugged no rpm after 5 or 10 seconds comes back to life .
when this happens if car is put in Neutral gas pedal works just fine put back in D don't work.

Took to dealer vehicle has no codes no check engine on couldn't figure out!!

Any ideass???
The fact that your car is not throwing a code makes a diagnosis difficult. There are 3 or 4 conditions that can produce the problems you are having If I were you, I would start with the engine air filter and Maf sensor. These are not that expensive, and can cause all kinds of problems as described below. Good luck!!

https://repairpal.com/failed-mass-air-flow-sensor-may-cause-driveability-issues-040

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a rebuilt 2020, and It has the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution? sometimes I press the pedal to leave a red light and nothing, up and down 2 or 3 times and then it goes.. sometimes its when I press down to speed up on the highway, it just goes dead.. when I press it down, theres no acceleration.. no revving.. I replaced the gas peal with the throttle switch in it, but its still doing it.. next guess is throttle body since its in the corner of the engine bay that was impacted.. but at this point Im just guessing..

No engine codes, no engine lights, took it to the dealer, they drove it twice for 20-30 minutes and said they couldnt replicate it. I picked it up and it was doing it again within 10 minutes..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your cvt transmission needs to be replaced. I have the exact same problem on a 2014 Versa Note hatchback. I got the car real cheap hoping it only needed a fluid change (nope). Press the gas pedal, nothing for about 5-10 seconds, then it suddenly works. Also, the transmission stays in low gear revving real loud. I have to pull over, or turn the ignition off and on to make it go away. Zero obd2 codes. I took the car to a transmission place. Been in business for about 50 years. All reviews are 5 stars in YELP and Google. They ran a diagnostic and saw what was wrong. No high gear and stretched belts. It cannot be fixed because it's sealed. I'm getting a new cvt transmission installed in a few days for $4,386.96. (labor $1,250, programming $350, transmission $2,485.71, cvt fluid $79.96, tax $221.29) The transmission comes from a Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine turned out to be something really stupid... Nissan started putting accelerator overrides in the vehicles. If you press the gas and the brake at the same time the gas pedal becomes un-responsive.. (one document I read said reduced responsiveness). About 2 weeks after I took it to the dealer, I noticed my 3rd brake light was on while going down the road at night.. I took my foot off the gas and the brake light turned off. Pressed the gas again and it stayed off.. then I started to wonder if there was some weird way these cars were setup, so stop from burning up a CVT, by making it so you cant power brake.. So at the next light I pressed the gas and the brake at the same time to see what would happen, it seemed to have reduced power.. so then I Googled "what happens if you press brake and gas at same time on Nissan" and I got this as a result..

Nissan Reference Guide - Nissan Brake Override Technology

As well as this

So then I started to wonder, is my brake switch broken? causing the gas pedal to go out.. or is my shoe touching both pedals..
2 weeks earlier just days before the problem started I had bought new shoes.. The next time it did it, I looked down and the side of my shoe
was rubbing the brake pedal, I moved my shoe and the gas came back.. This has happened 5 times now.. everytime I move my foot and the problem goes away..
Im pretty sure its just that I have big feet.. size 12-13 shoes..

Havent looked to see if theres any way I can move the brake pedal to the left about an inch.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, this sounds like a brake switch problem, usually. These symptoms do not mean you need a transmission. They may, but there are plenty of other possibilities too. Two footed driving can set a code for sure. This is something common in the industry. If you have two brake switches on your pedal, the computer watches them to make sure they both change state, in opposite directions, within a certain amount of time. This can cause no starts and low power issues. I believe two footed driving has a similar impact on the system. It's also possible that the brake switch(s) isn't adjust properly. It's not something you should have to adjust for maintenance, only after it's removed.

A cvt can cause this too, but It would likely have stored codes, had other symptoms, sounded and felt ridiculous while driving. It generally wouldn't be something that just sort of comes and goes. When they overheat, they go into limp mode and limit the throttle angle to like 5°, so basically nothing. You can barely move the thing in a parking lot. If they're slipping, the engine will be reving, but the car won't be accelerating, then it might feel jerky and start going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts