Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble with a 2010 versa 1.8 automatic, when starting it has a loud squealing sound for about 15seconds and fades away. I took off the belt so that the only thing turning was the harmonic balancer and it still made the noise. I took the timing cover off and removed all the chains n sprockets and guides and tensioners, everything looks fine. Put it all back together and still making that noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Im having trouble with a 2010 versa 1.8 automatic, when starting it has a loud squealing sound for about 15seconds and fades away. I took off the belt so that the only thing turning was the harmonic balancer and it still made the noise. I took the timing cover off and removed all the chains n sprockets and guides and tensioners, everything looks fine. Put it all back together and still making that noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You seem to have covered all the bases with the exception of the starter. If the pinion gear is hanging up, it can make that squealing sound. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After the noise fades away after 20sec and is just idling, if i press the throttle itll start to sound like the exhaust is heavily restricted and run rough till i let off the throttle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to pull the valve cover and see if it gets louder, if so im gona pull the bearing caps and hopefully have a bad journal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im on my third idler pulley at 62000 mi, 2017 Nissan versa sv.Never a recall. third replacement used a dayco and good year gator belt. so far noises haven't returned.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That Goodyear 'gator' belt will eventually bite you, they come apart at the 'trick' grooves there, one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen on a car, I used to sell them and almost every one did it. If you don't lose the whole belt when it falls off then look close at the grooves, every single one will be cracking to try to break the belt in a hundred places. Absolutely worthless product. They start cracking in less than 3 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well like i mentioned, im talking about running the engine without belts, just the harmonic balancer spinning, no idler pulleys, no alternator spinning, no a/c turning, no water pump pulley spinning, just the chains inside the timing cover moving while running the engine the squealing sounds like its coming from inside the valve cover but when taking the oil cap off while running, the noise doesnt seem to get louder tho. Im pulling the cover off today and hopefully find a journal messed up or whatever the problem is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but I've experienced a similar noise on a different make/models and it was cracked intake manifold gasket making a whistling/humming noise as the air squeezed past the crack and vibrated the seal like a reed. On some engines it didn't necessarily set a lean code or any code.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Leave the valve cover alone, like you should have the cam timing parts. Internal engine parts generally make little to no noise even tearing themselves to smithereens.

Starter could be overrunning due to sticking clutch (bendix) in it, remove that and check the bendix out and grease it lightly if needed.

Cam journals will make no noise when they tear up.

Could be a vacuum leak like said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts