Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 versa makes a clunk when I apply the brakes, but only when I do the opposite of what I have been doing. So if I am going forward no noise when applying the breaks, but if I back up and apply the breaks I get a clunk in the front end. If I then go forward I then get the clunk but after the first clunk as long as I keep going in the same direction no clunk when breaks applied. Only when I change directions and then only for the first time the breaks are applied. Has anyone else had this problem? Is is serious? I have had no noise in the break system until now at 49k Thanks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check and make sure the calipers are tight our for any loose parts have you done any brake work or anything to the front end?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check and make sure the calipers are tight our for any loose parts have you done any brake work or anything to the front end?
Nothing since it was purchased new. I am very easy on breaks and pump them to avoid heat build up. I should do a pad inspection and see if anything looks loose. It sounds like its on the right side when backing up and right when going forwar, but that is hard to tell exactly. Its in the breaks I am sure.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
maybe something is rolling around in the car. Or is it under the hood the clunk? broken engine mount perhaps?

·
Banned
342 Posts
Check your front coil springs. They are somewhat known to break. an 09 should not have any brake issues unless its super high mileage. Most versa owners get 80-100k out of fronts and i have customers over 150000km on original shoes

Edit:check the bottom of the spring. Last coil

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
good call on the springs! forgot about that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I was wondering if you could feel the clunk on your brake pedal? or can you feel it anywhere else or do you just hear it on the right side?

if you can feel it on the brake pedal then I would say is brake related, but if you can only hear the clunk sound then it could be in the suspension or something else.

Either way, you should have it checked by the nissan dealer especially that your car has factory warranty and it covers everything saving you lots of money on repairs.
I'm at 91,000 miles and the only brake problem I can tell is the rotors need to be replaced or turned soon but no clunk sound after changing direction and applying the brakes for the first time

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 09 versa makes a clunk when I apply the brakes, but only when I do the opposite of what I have been doing. So if I am going forward no noise when applying the breaks, but if I back up and apply the breaks I get a clunk in the front end. If I then go forward I then get the clunk but after the first clunk as long as I keep going in the same direction no clunk when breaks applied. Only when I change directions and then only for the first time the breaks are applied. Has anyone else had this problem? Is is serious? I have had no noise in the break system until now at 49k Thanks.

Im not that sure but it could be the CV joints or the bearings.you gotta find sometime checking it and usually this thing took place after 60k miles just like me a few months long. Just can case you found out some difficulty on replacement car parts, you can check out partstrain.com.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
an 09 should not have any brake issues unless its super high mileage. Most versa owners get 80-100k out of fronts and i have customers over 150000km on original shoes
My brake light has come on a couple times. I'm assuming it's low on brake fluid cuz brakes worn down. Thx for post, I'm assuming original brakes now cuz i don't use them much. They're also squeaking a bit even when warm. Going to check today. Thx! 08v

·
Registered
927 Posts
I didn't want to necro this thread but a good friend Bob told me to check the forums because I had to replace my engine mounts today costly parts ^_^ broken 3 mounts. I had the same problem it clanks when you brake and go or put it on reverse then drive or making a U-turn. Easy way to Avoid this (Once you get it fixed) if you have Auto Trans is to pause for 1 second or 2 every time you move your shifter from P to R or D. NONE of those Park to Drive in one swoop and go lol. Also No pedal to the metal on green hehehe. Have 81k on my car and its an 07. Hope this help future searches on engine clank or mounts :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.