Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the vehicle goes across irregular road (with bumps/potholes)...
or the vehicle steers to the left or right (moving or stationary)..

there are a series of irregular tak tak tak sounds from the right of the car...

upon opening the hood, and turning the steering left right, i figured the noise is either in the marked region, or below the marked region.
[it can also be heard if steering wheel is moved when vehicle is stationary]

can someone describe what is this marked region? and what could be causing the sounds..

marked region images
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vthivwnb1vlzaxd/b6XVInWG5D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That's the strut assembly. Basically your car's shocks. The noise could be from a loosened part of some sort. I used to have a similar noise which ended up been my end link been loosened after I had taken the strut assembly out in the attempt to put different springs. I'm assuming this is not your case unless you have indeed taken that part out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Could be strut bearing, it's a recall or TSB. What's the mileage? Loose parts not likely unless you did it yourself... matter of fact alot of bolts are over torqued from the factory. Does it sound like a coil spring twisting, winding up? That's the strut bearing problem, the strut bearing enables the spring to rotate with the steering linkage as a unit, independent of the chassis rather than stay stationary, which would cause it to wind up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope i havent loosened any of strut/suspension assembly...

When i had clicking noises because of the famous intermediate shaft problem, the garage told they will lubricate the affected regions (not sure if that made the garage to work on suspension assembly).

Other than that, i had brake discs polished...

I personally havent loosened any of suspension assembly...

The noise is like irregular lower pitched version of hitting an table tennis ball...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Front strut springs known to go too, better check those. Here's mine after I hit a backfilled trench.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
The dealer just replaced the right strut nut insulator ass, bearing strut seat assy bumper on my 2014 Note 1.6

Sounded like styrofoam cracking when I went over an sharp uneven road surface. Would not do it on a speed bump, but would do it on a depressed frost heave.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The dealer just replaced the right strut nut insulator ass, bearing strut seat assy bumper on my 2014 Note 1.6

Sounded like styrofoam cracking when I went over an sharp uneven road surface. Would not do it on a speed bump, but would do it on a depressed frost heave.
Similar...

Lets see how it goes with the garage here...
They might replace the entire assembly instead of a single component.

I got noises all the time now.
If i drive on a uneven gravel road, its very loud even if i am going straight.
If i move the steering in parking, then also it makes sound.

And i got two videos to show you how it sounds like.

Video 2 - is more clear, just listen at high volume. I am driving at 5-10 kmph on an uneven gravel road with foot off accelerator. Ignore the keychain hitting sound and the battery low sound :p.

Video link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r3g01dnv77mq3ds/qBEmwa6phO
Video 2 should get uploaded in a while. Video 1 is uploaded.

Edit : Video 2 is uploaded...

G

·
Pretty much what is going on with my 2011 Versa has been doing it since I had it lowered about two years ago. It seem to have gotten louder recently so I may need to get it looked at. I plan on putting coilovers on in the next month so will see if that cures it

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 11S does a similar noise from right front wheel. only when turning fully in either direction and my noise sounds like yours but I can hear the hummmmm in spring. MY dealer didn't know anything clearly and with no drivability issues I keep on rocking.

In my case I believe its my strut bearing plate or strut spring. I live in Arizona so rough roads are common...even down town so im thinking I hit a pot hole and started the "Versa Clunk" sound

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to a garage, and he replaced the shock absorber mounting (insulator strut) and link rod (also known as Rodassyconsstab).
Noise was "reduced" for 2 days but it's the same now.
The cars ability to absorb shocks felt improved....
Much improved.

Also i felt that there is some improvement in stopping distance, and the car is not nose-diving. (not sure if it was actually happening or it was psychological).

Also when he removed the assembly to change the part, he mentioned that the shock absorber has become weak.

Then he demonstrated the shock absorber to me, first he pressed it down by hand, it was going down slowly, then it came up slowly after leaving it.
After that he pulled the shock absorber up, again it went up slowly, but when he left the shock absorber, instead of staying there, it started coming down slowly (which shouldnt have happened according to the mechanic).

However he advised me, its ok, the shock absorber doesnt cause such sound, and you can still use the same shock absorber - telling me not to spend money on the shocks.

Can someone over here further diagnose the problem, which is this sound coming as shown in the video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/95xvcao94abx9qk/Video2.mp4

Or suggest me what parts to check.

The mechanic told the suspension, lower arm, bushes etc look fine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's the spring moving/winding up. Possible he may have forgotten to put something back in when he reassembled the strut. Looks like you had the sway bar links done too, it could be something simple like he forgot to tighten a bolt. In a busy shop especially, it does happen from time to time. You're generally distracted so much in a shop and are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off that you are bound to forget things.

Take it back and tell them to take a look at it. It's a simple matter of taking the wheel off and having a look. Keep in mind there is a TSB for strut bearings on early first gen Versa's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
All of these issues point at the same thing: strut bearing failure. Not critical, just an annoyance.

Keep in mind there is a TSB for strut bearings on early first gen Versa's.
here are 2 bulletins that correlate to the issues. These are just the summaries, but would be enough to show to a tech.

Subject: SB 2007-2011 Versa; Front Suspension Noise When Turning
Summary of NTB11032:

IF YOU CONFIRM A noise (clunking, popping, or bumping) coming from the front strut assembly when the steering wheel is turned. ACTION All 2007-2009 Versa: 1. Install the gray and green tubes listed in the Parts Information section onto the TOP and BOTTOM ends of both (LH and RH) front suspension coil springs. 2. Replace both (LH and RH side) strut mounting bearings with the ones listed in the Parts Information section. All 2010 and Applicable 2011 Versa: Install the gray and green tubes listed in the Parts Information section onto the TOP and BOTTOM ends of both (LH and RH) front suspension coil springs. See this bulletin for further detail.

Subject: SB Clicking Noise From Front or Rear Axle During Take-Off/Acceleration
Summary of NTB12055:

IF YOU CONFIRM: Customers concern of a "clicking" noise coming from either left or right front/rear CV-type axles during take-off/acceleration. ACTION: Apply Molykote M77 grease (P/N 44003-7S000) to the hub bearing surfaces. NOTE: * Do not remove the axle from the hub or transmission for this bulletin * Refer to the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for model specific torque specifications. - For 2007-2013 Versa and 2013 LEAF vehicles, see the Service Procedure torque specifications on page 4. See this bulletin for further detail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.