Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a brand new car owner, I feel the need to be responsible and always take care of my car because it is not only an investment and a pride thing, but it is necessary.

Well, anyways, I was going to Hobby Lobby today to pick up a few things before it got to be late and 5 o'clock traffic became a nuisance so I got there, put my car in park and proceeded to get my purse/belongings to go in.

**Be mindful that I parked more than 8 space away from ANY vehicles on either side. AND I was in PARK when I was taken aback by a swinging motion.

Then....all of a sudden I look up to see a maroon Toyota FJ Cruiser back into my front passenger bumper and pull off into the parking lot. Afterwards, I jump out of my car to assess the damage and the car is nowhere to be seen....so I peruse the parking lot to find the vehicle that hit me while I am calling the police.

After walking several rows over and closer to the store entrance, I find the FJ cruiser WITH the scratches that it had taken from hitting me and I write down the plate #, VIN #, and take note of the appearance. Also, while I am waiting for the police, I walk into the store to find the driver/passenger of the vehicle as I saw them when I looked up to see what the bump was.

Long story short...I was sitting in the parking lot, got hit by two (SORRY if I offend anyone, and I mean anyone!) asian males between 19-25 years of age, made a police report, and I called my insurance agency to make a claim ONLY to find out that I am responsible for the first $1000 of repairs for my vehicle BEFORE my insurance/theirs will even consider COVERING the damage on my Versa when I was NOT at fault.

I don't mean to complain, but my entire day was ruined because of one lousy trip to the store...I have never been in any accidents, never hit anything/anyone else, never had to make a claim, and I have never been involved with the police. Today was just not very fun because I am a poor, yet, responsible college kid who now has to pay for the damages that I didn't even cause :(

I'm torn between just paying for the repairs myself and dealing with it, and being upset by the fact that the justice system doesn't seem to be for the innocent.

Here are some pictures of the damage, PLEASE let me know if any of you have had this problem and know how to fix it, or have any advice on what it may cost to appraise/fix or any thoughts on it.

The front bumper is scratched as you can tell, with silver paint from the FJ's back bumper and the side of my bumper is popped out towards the top. That big white spot is a flash, not a white paint scratch on the first pic.

Thanks for putting up with my steaming rant.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's a tough way to learn what a deductible is.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Aww, that really sucks ... So sorry to hear about that :(

Any way you can try and fix it yourself? Paying the deductible through your insurance sounds very high, and not worth it (to me at least) ...

That really sucks. That would ruin my day too !

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...being young and having no adult/mentor for guidance takes a lot of patience...I just try to do what I can to get through it :/

Just going to keep an eye on it and get it fixed as soon as I can

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
so what did the police do when they got the police report? Did they get the info from the guy with the FJ? You should not have to pay anything there insurance need to pay you, or your insurance. Also if they did not get the FJ's info did they file it as a hit and run?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so what did the police do when they got the police report? Did they get the info from the guy with the FJ? You should not have to pay anything there insurance need to pay you, or your insurance. Also if they did not get the FJ's info did they file it as a hit and run?
The cop that showed up said fill out these personal statements of what happened then he took both of our information on insurance/registration/license and wrote a report. Then he basically said, "My job here is done, now you two can choose to contact your insurance companies and sort it all out but you don't have to..." And that was it. I took it among myself to get all of the other driver's info and call my insurance company and they told me that if the damage didn't exceed $1000, that I was responsible for every bit of it until then. They also said, if it came out to be, for example, $1050, would it even be worth it to file a claim for $50. So according to my insurance company (StateFarm) and the cop, I'm pretty much screwed and have to pay to fix it myself.

Yes they got their info, and no they didn't file it as a hit and run...because I eventually got them to cooperate when I went and found the driver/passenger.

I hardly understand all of the insurance stuff myself as I have never had to deal with it before now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does the report show who is at fault?
I don't know...I have a file # for it, but he didn't say. BUT, on both statements etc., the other driver took complete responsibility for hitting me, and that's what we both told the cop...unfortunately in Louisiana it is nearly impossible to get anything legal done right/fair. I think it would have to though. Right?

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
I would contact there insurance, or have your insurance contact there insurance. I have state farm as well and never had any issues with them paying for my claims (that where not my fault) and getting the money from the other persons insurance

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everyone here. DONT give up. This is ur baby, and she needs to be fixed right, and proper. This is one big game, and u have to know how to play this game. Im sorry for what has happened to you. I know the front lower bumper part of my versa has been hit by someone and I dont know who, or when. It is what it is for me. Lucky, after umteen times of buffing, its not as noticble anymore. But yeah, dont give up, and push as hard as u can, even if it means u tell state farm, that if they arent gonna do anything about it, then ur dropping the coverage and switching. They DONT wanna hear that.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Seriously think its a game? Cause a car accident ain't fun :facepalm:
Well obviously you not reading what I said correctly. I was in an accident myself and it could have been deadly, so I know what its like. But anyways, this situation with the insurance is gonna be a problem, or some people say its just a game, and hes gonna have to know how to play this game, if he wants to make sure things get done. Get it now?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got what you said, and even still, dealing with insurance ain't fun.
No worries everyone, I get what you're all saying!

And good news, I got a hold of the other driver's insurance (AAA) and I talked to a very nice woman who gave me all of the information that I need and I am going to Champ's Body Shop today to have an estimate/appraisal done and the other insurance company is going to cover every single bit of the damage! (Or so I'm told and I really hope)

Thanks so much for all of the help, as I agree that this is NOT fun at all to deal with, I'm glad that I am getting it taken care of the right way so it can be over with and I'll have the previous experience for when I get into a serious accident. (hopefully not :( though).

Will post back with details after I get back from the shop! Again, thanks for helping/giving me advice! This is what the forum is for! :D :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had experience (unfortunately) with this sort of thing both ways. The bad way was when my wife bumped another car in stop-and-go traffic with no damage. Months later, the guy came after us for "whiplash" injury. Since there was a police report stating no damages and it was months old, my insurance company paid out $1.00 to close the case. It still went on our record as an "at fault accident" but it could have come out much worse.

Other times getting bumped by other cars causing damage, my tact is to stay calm and professional with all of the insurance agents. You wouldn't believe how far this can get you even if you need to call supervisors and make repeated calls. Eventually, they'd rather pay out than have to spend time fielding your (calm) repeated calls. Works (most) every time.
Use the force!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Other times getting bumped by other cars causing damage, my tact is to stay calm and professional with all of the insurance agents. You wouldn't believe how far this can get you even if you need to call supervisors and make repeated calls. Eventually, they'd rather pay out than have to spend time fielding your (calm) repeated calls. Works (most) every time.
Use the force!
Ha! No kidding, I know exactly what you mean. And fortunately, the other guys insurance company is actually competent and knew what I wanted taken care/were very nice and willing. And of so as of now, I have an appointment at the body shop monday and my car will hopefully be fixed the same day at no charge to me.

I am hoping that it is quick and painless, as fall semester starts up again in less than a week and I can't be dealing with this BS for months on end because people don't want to do their jobs right the first time. :/

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update on my Versa...

After a week of making calls back and forth with the insurance company and the body shop, I finally got everything straightened out with both parties and dropped my Versa off today to be repaired. Whether they started on it right then or not, I'm not sure, BUT I am so happy to have it worked on tomorrow because my semester starts Monday and I need my car :/ However, since they DID accept liability on the other driver, it is at no cost to me to repair it :D Very happy that things got handled...

Soooo, I'll post pics when I pick it up. :woot:

Again, thanks for the helpful posts guys/gals!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great news! The battle for trying to get my car fixed is finally over. I picked my car up today after class and was pleasantly surprised!

The body shop did: 1. Repaired the bumper and paint, and it looks like it was never even touched.
2. Wiped down/cleaned and vacuumed my entire interior
3. Washed/detailed my entire car inside and out FOR FREE!
4. And the best thing was, the insurance company paid for every single bit of it!!! :D

So now, what I learned through this entire experience is....don't get stressed out if someone with AAA hits you, it all gets worked out and I get a free car wash! Lol :chuckle::chuckle:

Will post pics when I can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts