Nissan Versa Forums banner

Not sure what to do

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I guess this could go under exterior but I have an 11 Versa hatchback that has a couple broken retainer clip holes on the front bumper cover..mainly where the cover and passenger side front fender meet and are supposed to connect with retainer clips..question would be is there a way to fix the holes on the plastic cover to get rid of the duct tape holding it together without having to get a new cover?

#2 ·
If the holes are torn out or otherwise missing part of the hole periphery then you won't be using them again. No glue on the planet will hold that plastic longterm. If there is a lip then I have gone underneath to rivet the cover and fender together after drilling holes for the pop rivet. Done correctly it was unnoticeable from the outside of the car.

#4 ·
You buy one, they are not expensive. I can tell by the answer back you are not free enough of thought to 'make your own way' with the problem, but other than buying and painting a new bumper cover, that is what you must do to have any resolution to your issue. Depending on how broke, there may be more than one way to fix the problem but cannot say.

You have the type of problem there I shred to pieces every day to take literally pennies to fix but typically costs other people who cannot free up their minds hundreds if not thousands of dollars to fix. They simply cannot envision anything that works when there may be 20 different ways to do it. Limiting oneself by saying they cannot afford a tool to fix something is how you get junk running around on the highways that could easily be fixed, then people see it and grade the driver on intelligence level as to what they see.

#7 ·
You can't fault ME for that. You are at fault there for even considering a car appearance at that stage of life, it is a low priority.

I have been in that situation twice in my life but took the bull by the horns and changed it to be the opposite pretty quick. There are skills to correct that that even Einstein didn't have. A hint................instant flame on is NOT one of them and is very damaging to one's profile once shown to be part of it.

#11 ·
I use coat hanger wire all the time, I even collect it from places that rent uniforms to be able to get a hundred at a time when needed. Most people would never recognize it in use on my cars though as I make any piece used look like a OEM part before I am done. I do not simply handwire together and leave it. I thread it carefully and use tools on it to make it tight yet not tight enough to break things. Got it on a hood cable right now for years to avoid a +$100 new cable and having to take half the car apart to install that. Coat hanger is excellent wire to form holding fixtures for cable, electrical harness, heater hose and such. On Focus cars the sunvisors pivot on cheap plastic pivots that break way early and all in the junkyard are broken too, hanger wire used there to make a permanent pivot on 2 cars in 4 places and painted to look like they belong there.

Soup cans no, but I have used a vienna sausage can in smaller size as a cover for a custom vacuum switch I once made on a car. I've got a tuna can as the oil holder in the smoke machine I made.

I use plastic wireties a lot too but duct tape? Never.

As a printer for over 30 years I use thin printing plate on things too, like shims for inside automatic transmissions among a hundred other things.

I use hobby shop brass tubing to make much smaller electrical connections than the smallest butt connectors you can buy, it also makes excellent fuel line for chainsaws that never goes bad like the expensive chainsaw fuel line does every year now with ethanol use.

Among hundreds of other things that were never intended to be used on cars. I've used fishing tackle stuff too, parts are where you find them.

#13 ·
Without rigging it like others mentioned, you'll have to replace it. There are some vendors on eBay who will send a new cover prepainted for around $200. I went this route recently on a vehicle and it turned out pretty good.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I'd take the tire off and see where to join the pieces together and clamp it together somehow. Then you can drill holes to put the rivets in. I'm pretty sure most of it is plastic. I know the inner liner is. I bought a new inner fenderwell from a company called LKQ I believe it was. It was cheap too. The plastic clips are cheap too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.