Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Bluetooth OBD II mini Interface, tried it in my car, the device can not communicate with the car, tried it in another car and works fine, so how can I check the car OBD port and how can figure out where is the problem? please Advice. :help::help::help:

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
there are different protocols for obdII. You need one that uses CAN Bus. There are expensive ones and cheap ones. Both will work if it uses the correct protocol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
obd II data stream is a legally required protocol, you do not need separate readers. It runs on top of K-lines and CAN bus architectures. As long as you have the connector with correct pin out, you can connect to the ecu and read the data stream with any obdII device.

If you want to access and/or edit information beyond the obdII protocol, then you will need a product that can access the CAN bus, e.g. Osiris tuner.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
obd II data stream is a legally required protocol, you do not need separate readers. It runs on top of K-lines and CAN bus architectures. As long as you have the connector with correct pin out, you can connect to the ecu and read the data stream with any obdII device.

If you want to access and/or edit information beyond the obdII protocol, then you will need a product that can access the CAN bus, e.g. Osiris tuner.
NOt sure what you mean here? All I know is the package for the OBDII device MUST say CAN on it to work. My old reader didn't work, I found the CAN info online and then started using a newer style reader which said CAN compatible. Then everything worked as it should.

You say you don't need a separate reader then later in your post say "read the data stream with any OBDII device." The seperate reader is the OBDII device so you can see my confusion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am having trouble with this also. I have an ELM327 Wi-Fi OBDII device that I am trying to use with DashCommand. It works fine on my Mom's Mazda2, but on my Versa it says "OBD-II error detecting protocol" but the ELM327 says it supports all protocols. I am pretty miffed considering the device itself was $30 :(

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.