Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the HR16 header that OBX currently offers a true 4-2-1 header whereas the MR headers are merely optimized stock headers? I noticed the bolt patterns are the same, so if the runners are the same diameters i'd rather take an HR16 header to put on my MR.

Product Name - OBX Racing Sports

The runners are way longer. The only thing i have a problem with is the placement of the (true) O2 sensor in one single runner.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Why is the HR16 header that OBX currently offers a true 4-2-1 header whereas the MR headers are merely optimized stock headers? I noticed the bolt patterns are the same, so if the runners are the same diameters i'd rather take an HR16 header to put on my MR.

Product Name - OBX Racing Sports

The runners are way longer. The only thing i have a problem with is the placement of the (true) O2 sensor in one single runner.

nice to know they produce one for the HR16, but personally i wouldnt buy anything from OBX as they are known to have some quality issues with alot of their stuff...when i had an altima and i was on those forums someone on there purchased a set of OBX headers and not to long after alot of the welds started coming apart on them and he could not get them to replace them. not sure if that is still the case, but as for me i intend to stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
the design of the HR OBX header actually looks pretty nice. I'm sure the quality isn't all that great. Only thing that bothers me is no flex pipe anywhere. I would think alot of stress would be put on that item when shifting.

It is odd that the O2 sensor is on a single runner. I usually see them on the collector for two of the runners. If that one cylinder, sparkplug, coil pack, or injector were not working properly you will get some funky readings from that O2.

I wonder if anyone has ever purchased one of these and used it. I'm betting you would see few hp's under the curve on a dyno with it. I couldn't see any header really making too much on Versa's. The 1.6 and 1.8 come stock with tubular design and the cat pipes are pretty beefy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But this is more of a proper 4-2-1 header.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money.

OBX is junk and they just copy most of their desgins from other companies using inferior material. I bought their header for my Honda and the flange warped in less than a year. Not to mention the fit wasn't all that great. Their lifetime warranty is actually no warranty at all. Stay away.

As far as the o2 sensor placement, aftermarket headers all usually have the o2 sensor in a single runner. This is very common/normal. You just sometimes have to extend the wiring for the o2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I bought a cheap header once for a car. I only got it because the stock down pipe rotted out and a replacement was over double of the cheap header and pipe. The usual fitment problems and cheap construction applied to that one as well.

Ironically I think this same thing has happened to my Versa. I think my cat pipe is rotting away. My car is loud and the sound seems like it's coming from that area. No clue what I am going to do. I guess just drive it until something falls off. After that maybe a custom setup as I got a guy who does nice work. Only problem is it will run me between $3-400 I assume.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The welds between pipe and flange are what fails, I am doing straight pipe myself for this reason. The welds just rust off. Happened at the cat/downpipe to mid pipe joint, and at rear muffler flange. Straight pipe in preparation for rear mount turbo, GT2056V Jeep turbo flange welded on where the turbo will be located where old muffler was. It's been a huge PITA because the downpipe keeps falling out of the flange joint, especially when driving on rough roads. I have to keep raising the car and forcing it back in for the noise and vibration to stay at a tolerable/legal level. Although on the bright side it's showed me how these motors sound straight piped. The idle sounds nice, lopier than expected, course high RPM just sounds like a ricecar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.