Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Hope you're having a lovely Veterans Day weekend. I have a 2011 Versa 1.8 S hatch, 185K miles. The car has over the past few weeks refused to start on the first turn of the key. And by "refused to start", I mean no cranking, no dash lights, no sound (not even a click). I've learned that it WILL eventually start after trying 1 or more times (most was about 7 tries), and it runs normally w/ no roughness after that. Sometimes it starts right up, whether the engine and weather are cold or warm. I have a newish Duracell no-maintenance battery (about 2 months old now). When I installed it, I cleaned the cable terminals and battery posts, then lightly coated w/ vaseline. The cables are on tight. My ScanGauge shows battery voltage usually between 13.9 and 14.1 when car is running. This is the only starting problem I've had. Last major work on car was replacement of ignition coils about a half-year ago. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds like you've done the basics in replacing the battery. Since there's no power upon startup, I'd also check the ground connection from the battery to the frame or engine. Something is not making contact completely and causing this intermittent fault. Also, use a code reader to see if any codes are being held in memory for you to check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you've done the basics in replacing the battery. Since there's no power upon startup, I'd also check the ground connection from the battery to the frame or engine. Something is not making contact completely and causing this intermittent fault. Also, use a code reader to see if any codes are being held in memory for you to check.
THANK YOU so much dkmura. I checked the ground, and there was corrosion where the cable met the chassis. I cleaned it up best I could. Since then, car started 5 times without problem. Will continue to monitor and update in a week or two, or earlier if problem recurs. But really appreciate your tip and time. Have a wonderful week.

·
Registered
301 Posts
THANK YOU so much dkmura. I checked the ground, and there was corrosion where the cable met the chassis. I cleaned it up best I could. Since then, car started 5 times without problem. Will continue to monitor and update in a week or two, or earlier if problem recurs. But really appreciate your tip and time. Have a wonderful week.
Glad to help! Corrosion can usually be cleaned using a wire brush and then using dielectric grease before refastening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts