Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the part number for the factory matte black first gen (07-09) grille that apparently only came on 1.6 base models (ironic how we want to black out our chrome accent grills...)?

If someone has a Versa with the factory blacked out grill, could you take it out and tell me the part number. Better yet, if you're upgrading, i'll buy it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Chrome belongs in the sixties, or a pick me up truck, but no chrome on my Versa please.
Dechrome under ten bucks...

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't like results from paint, Plasti Dip just isn't smooth enough. Plus i already sort of screwed my grill over by clear coating it, i didn't let the Plasti Dip enough time to flash off/outgas and the clear is bubbling as a result. Just want the grill that's solid plastic, i imagine the base model grill is not coated with anything, it's just raw ABS or some polycarbonate.

But for anyone with shitty paint, you'd be surprised at what you can do with Tremclad, either in liquid form or rattle can. Tried Plasti Dipping the hood because it had gotten the usual stone chips, and just wasn't satisfied with the texture of Plasti Dip, tried to get it to lay smooth like you see online but couldn't do it... So i filled and feathered the stone dings/dimples and painted with Tremclad. If you progressively sand between coats it comes out like factory car paint, it's all about elbow grease. Up to the point where you wet sand with 2000, then hit it with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, or really any compound that can remove moderate scratches/swirling etc.

In fact i'm convinced this traditional oil based paint (no BC/CC) comes out much smoother than some of the factory paint jobs you see today with orange peel everywhere. Mine has plenty of factory orange peel. If you build up a good thick layer of paint, you have a lot of paint to work with to buff or sand. So as in the traditional old school way, when it starts fading, you just buff it back up because you have so much paint to work with, and don't have to worry about going through the clear.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My krylon paint for plastic is definitely not smooth to the touch. Previous two coats were tremclad flat black though, and very smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.