Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what I went through today.

Threw a service engine soon light (started up after sitting for almost a day and got it). It was a P1421 which is a cold start emissions related thing that can have to do with not enough air getting to the engine...and I installed a cold air intake 500 miles ago with no problems. I unhooked the battery and went through and checked all parts of the intake, disconnected them, reconnected them, so on. Reconnect battery and start her up: still there.

I am already taking the car into the dealer on Friday to have the torque strut mounts looked at, I am under warranty, but since this could be related to the intake (though I don't know why, it's sucking air just fine) I went into diagnostics mode and reset the light, of course it will likely pop up again if they disconnect the battery to do the torque mounts.

Anyway, I was wondering if I should mention it to the dealer because it could also be fuel system related? There is a TSB out on this code that says if there is no driveability symptoms and it's not the intake (I am sure they will say it is, but it's an AEM intake which is sold by Nissan) or the fuel system then it is an error with the ECM and it needs to be updated...so I might have them do that. Or, do I keep quiet and ignore it and hope it comes back on their watch?

I am leaning towards mentioning it right now, but the car seems to run fine. I am hoping they will take me seriously when I say that the intake didn't do it (or shouldn't have done it) and I want the ECM update after they check the fuel system.

Only other reason I can think intake is doing it is that I read online somewhere that the code has to do with the engine not heating up as fast as it thinks it should...I live in the sf bay area, no snow, etc, but the cold light has been on i for the past few weeks when I start the car...maybe the intake is just doing its job.

Anyway, any thoughts? Oh yeah I should mention that the service manual says if it is the intake it will mean that the car isn't getting enough air, not too much....the CAI should increase overall air going in, and, like I said, I put my hand by the filter (which is clean) and it seems to be sucking just fine...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Annnnd just found out that there system will know when the light was on and why so might as well be up front. This intake is sold by Nissan so I am not worried.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts, thanks!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, they have to be able to prove that the intake caused it. I think you'll be fine, although it can be hard to convince the stealership :) I had to FIGHT to get a tpms sensor put in at 30,021 miles.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
And I live in maine btw, and we haven't had a morning above 40 degrees in several weeks. My ses light has never come on (except the time my brother forgot to close the fuel cap

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called the dealer to confirm my appointment for tomorrow to have the engine mounts checked, and mentioned I wanted them to check out the light. Said I checked the intake (didn't mention it was CAI) and that I knew there was a TSB out for it so it is probably an error with the ECM. Anyway don't know if he paid any attention but I feel like if they think you know your shit they're less likely to take advantage of you...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's an update!

Dealer said my torque strut mounts are fine and that the engine moving is normal.

No evidence of the 1421 popped up on their check, but other stuff did...so I will ask some more about it later because...

I am going in on Monday for more diagnostics but there is a bunch of stuff wrong with my transmission (which I noticed before) and it will probably be replaced.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What that says is that if there aren't drivability symptoms it's a bug in the ECM...so not an issue.

I reset the light and it never came back...the dealer said they couldn't check it out because I reset the light which is weird because I think they can pull old codes...anyway, I was sort of distracted by the next two week ordeal of getting my transmission replaced..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks so much for the update, really appreciate it :)

I know they can read the backlog of codes, so that was odd they said that. But I too, just cleared the code and it hasn't came on again... yet.

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.