Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often find myself at maybe 2k miles or less when the 3 month window rolls around for my oil. I guess I was wondering how much of a priority changing at 3 months is if I don't drive a lot or hard. Does oil break down over time without use? Can I wait to get to the 3750 miles before going in for the change, even if it may be 5-6 months?

Everyone with prior nissan experience says prompt oil changes are the key to longevity, so I don't want to do it wrong.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I often find myself at maybe 2k miles or less when the 3 month window rolls around for my oil. I guess I was wondering how much of a priority changing at 3 months is if I don't drive a lot or hard. Does oil break down over time without use? Can I wait to get to the 3750 miles before going in for the change, even if it may be 5-6 months?

Everyone with prior nissan experience says prompt oil changes are the key to longevity, so I don't want to do it wrong.
Idk, but I don't drive but about 7500 miles a yr, and I change it every 4 months regardless of mileage. I check the color of the oil at 3 months, and if it's ok like usual, I just get it done at 4 months.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Well for a true answer you can send your oil in to be tested. They will let you know how many more miles you can go or if it should be changed.

I drive alot and all highway. I am on schedule 2 in the manual. I change it every 7500 miles. But that is also every 4 months for me. I no longer have my warranty since I'm over 60k miles. I will be sending in my oil to be tested next oil change because I would like to know if I can extend it to every 10k miles. Note that I also use synthetic oil even though nissan does not specify that is needed for the longer oil change interval.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I have the same problem. Mine usually gets changed at 2.5K. I'd like to extend my oil changes, maybe after my warranty expires since I'm only at 10,2XX. :D

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
if you change it every 3 months it would be 4 times per year.
if it cost 40.00 bucks to get an oil change...
then $40.00 X 4 times per year = $160.00 per year on oil changes

Don't be cheap and change the oil! :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
cheap synthetic every 10000km. That's about 2.5 months for me. I also use larger filter now. DIY after warranty expired at 100000km. Did same for Sentra, 300000km+ no mechanical problems:D

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
if you change it every 3 months it would be 4 times per year.
if it cost 40.00 bucks to get an oil change...
then $40.00 X 4 times per year = $160.00 per year on oil changes

Don't be cheap and change the oil! :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
Lol Oil changes at Nissan cost me only $30(sometimes less) so I dont mind, you do have a point though, my plan is to keep my V running as smooth and reliable as possible so I guess it's better to keep going at every 2.5K. :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I got my oil changed today on my lunch break

this is what it looked like before the oil change, I went around 30 miles over so its about 3,0030 miles old BUT less than 3 months old
[I drive a lot]

and this is what the oil looked like after it was changed and I drove it back to work

1 mile old

and during the oil change

next oil change is at 83K miles

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
you see how the paper towel can hardly absorb the old oil, but the new oil is easily absorbed by the paper towel, KOOL! think the paper towel is the oil filter

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mileage is way more important than time. Moisture from condensation is a concern if you don't drive your car much, but shelf-life on oil is very long.
I was having my oil changed at the dealer because it was free. I did my own this past fall and saw sludge deposits indicating moisture buildup / cheap oil.
I now do my own synthetic oil changes and go by mileage only, not time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mileage is way more important than time. Moisture from condensation is a concern if you don't drive your car much, but shelf-life on oil is very long.
I was having my oil changed at the dealer because it was free. I did my own this past fall and saw sludge deposits indicating moisture buildup / cheap oil.
I now do my own synthetic oil changes and go by mileage only, not time.
Sorta, once oil is used in your motor say for 300 miles then it sits they're acids that get formed from the process of combustion. Those acids will eat away at bearings inside of the motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.