Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My 2020 Versa manual, bought in January 2021, will soon have six months with me. This is when Nissan recommends an oil change. I have a grand total of 650 miles, so not even enough for the first recommended oil change at 1200 miles.
My question is, should I change the oil now or can I wait until the 1200 miles?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think Nissan might try to give you problems with warranty work if you don't follow their guidelines. Also keep receipts and documentation of the oil change. If it says 6mo./5000 miles I'd suggest doing it that way until the warranty is up then personally I'd use mileage as my baseline regardless of elapsed time unless you do lots of short trips. I've got a '97 Ford with 41K miles. In 24 years it's had 12 oil changes. For the first 30K miles I did 3K mile intervals, now I do 5K mile intervals. I definitely see where you're coming from in not wanting to waste good oil but changing it now is just covering your own butt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This will be the first time the oil is changed in your Versa, and it's usually a good time to swap it out based on time alone. Any machining swath, or other contaminants in your oil/filter will be flushed out. Stick with conventional oil for this first change to ensure good ring seal and to keep your warranty in good standing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe things have changed since my 2018 was made. The owners manual specifically said there is no reason to do the first oil change until 5000 miles or 6 months because it is filled with high quality synthetic oil from the factory. I would follow the manual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for all your replies. I apologize for taking so long in responding, but as always life gets in the way.
I have always done oil changes in my other car using mobile one synthetic with a dealership oil filter. I went to Nissan and they wanted $15 for the oil filter. I can get a NAPA Platinum Oil filter $7.50. The Toyota oil filter is around six dollars for my car--2002 Lexus GS430--.
Does anybody know the Toyota equivalent Of Nissan oil filter number 15208-65F0E ? I have searched and was unable to find it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I fail to see why you want to cross reference a particular Nissan oil filter to Toyota filter. Wouldn't a suitable generic oil filter from a good manufacturer be good enough? By the way, oil filters for my former Toyota car and Nissan Versa have different threads.
As a side note, for Versa most of the time I use SuperTech ST6607 oil filter, around 3 bucks at Walmart. If you change your oil every 5k miles, it would suffice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I bought my Versa I went on Rock Auto's site and bought a dozen Premium Guard filters for $2. each including shipping cost to my house. I've seen videos/pictures of the Premium Guard filters that have been cut open and they seem to be a well made filter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you for all your replies. I apologize for taking so long in responding, but as always life gets in the way.
I have always done oil changes in my other car using mobile one synthetic with a dealership oil filter. I went to Nissan and they wanted $15 for the oil filter. I can get a NAPA Platinum Oil filter $7.50. The Toyota oil filter is around six dollars for my car--2002 Lexus GS430--.
Does anybody know the Toyota equivalent Of Nissan oil filter number 15208-65F0E ? I have searched and was unable to find it.
As others have said, all car makers have specific requirements for their oil filters. Don't try to put a Toyota filter on a Nissan. Maybe try another Nissan dealership in your area, or have an independent shop use your own oil and filter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
I will go with NAPA since I have used them before, for years, in previous cars.
The reason for looking for a Toyota-equivalent filter is pure curiosity. Just wanted to know if this is something that could be done(I have way too much free time). I'll ask Toyota next time I go there.
I use Supertech oil filter and synth oil in a friend's car that I change her oil, a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. She spends less than $20.00 per oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought genuine Nissan oil filter for my 2020 Vera SV, current price $6.20.

Don't forget the drain plug gasket, 11026-JA00A, current price $0.25

To amortize the shipping, I bought 2 filters, 2 drain plugs, cabin air filter (27891-5RB0B, ~$25), engine air filter (16546-5RB1A, ~$19).

FWIIW, my manual says oil change for standard maintenance is 7500 or 6 months, (severe operating conditions is 5000 miles or 6 months). I will be changing mine at 6 months and 5100 miles with Mobil One 0W-20.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mobil 1 0-w20, Mobil 1 oil filter, and I run 20K between oil changes....swap the filter at 10K. 100K miles, 2018 Super Base Versa.

Ran a Saturn to 220,000 doing this, ran a Saab to 120,000, had an 80's F150 that leaked so much oil I never changed it. And a fleet of Taco's, one with 400,000K on the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As others have said, all car makers have specific requirements for their oil filters. Don't try to put a Toyota filter on a Nissan. Maybe try another Nissan dealership in your area, or have an independent shop use your own oil and filter.
Please....what are these magical specs Nissan has for their oil filters? Specifically. Because they're actually made by Denso.

Know who else Denso makes filters for? Toyota. So....a Denso filter = a Nissan filter = a Toyota filter.

So, question asker person, go on Rock Auto and save $3 and buy a Denso. Or any filter.....Nissan doesn't give a crap what filter you buy. But hey - if you want to buy a branded one so they get a few % kicked back, they'd be stoked! But otherwise they don't care...this engine is used unfiltered in farm equipment!

Sorry the OP here is talking straight out of his [peach emoji]. But he's prob 16.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry the OP here is talking straight out of his [peach emoji]. But he's prob 16.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry mt16 here is talking straight out of his [banana emoji]. But he's prob 14.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lower priced oil filters are all the same as the dealer. Just make sure it fits your vehicle. Denso...Fram...they are all basically the same. Make sure the oil is rated for your temperature area.

From what I've read online, oil generally lasts 5 years before it starts to break down. So technically, you can go by kilometers unless your local dealer is going to give you a hard time. They want the regular service for their revenues...and to sell you wipers or any other service they can think of.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I have no supporting evidence, I suspect that not all filters are the same.
Again, it's an opinion not an actual fact.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Although I have no supporting evidence, I suspect that not all filters are the same.
Again, it's an opinion not an actual fact.
Web search reveals there are evidences supporting your opinion, where folks cut open oil filters and review them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please....what are these magical specs Nissan has for their oil filters? Specifically. Because they're actually made by Denso.

Know who else Denso makes filters for? Toyota. So....a Denso filter = a Nissan filter = a Toyota filter.

So, question asker person, go on Rock Auto and save $3 and buy a Denso. Or any filter.....Nissan doesn't give a crap what filter you buy. But hey - if you want to buy a branded one so they get a few % kicked back, they'd be stoked! But otherwise they don't care...this engine is used unfiltered in farm equipment!

RockAuto.com will sell a 2020 Nissan Versa oil filter for $1.03 -> $7.93. I bought genuine Nissan oil filter for my 2020 Vera SV, current price $6.20.
1995-2020 Nissan Oil Filter 15208-65F0E | Nissan Wholesale Direct
1995-2020 Nissan Oil Filter 15208-65F0E
www.nissanwholesaledirect.com
www.nissanwholesaledirect.com
I am not aware of any filter magic in a Nissan filter. For me buying the same filter means I can use the filter cap wrench for all oil changes and the price is OK for me. You should replace the plug gasket to avoid leaks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
From what I've read online, oil generally lasts 5 years before it starts to break down.
The oil I'm running in all my cars is between 15-30 years old and there's no problems. Two of the cars have well over 200K miles and still going strong. If the oil wasn't stored properly where it could condensate there might be some degrading but mine has been kept inside my garage since new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts