Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right section, and not trash-talking about Nissan but they told me the 1st couple of oil changes would be free, now Im screwed because it's not written anywhere so I have to pay $30 everytime I need an oil change, plus I've heard their oil is cheap(quality wise), so I'd rather pay $20 for good oil/filter and do it myself. Question is...does anyone know if doing oil changes myself would void the warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Just make sure you use the proper oil, and filter and keep your receipts. Write your mileage down each time you do it, and keep all your documentation.

If you don't do any oil changes, then that could probably void your warranty, lol.
I've started changing them myself at home since my free ones are up. I'd pay $30 at Nissan if that is what they charged here, but it's $50.

What I do now is buy the OEM Nissan filter from the dealership for $8.00 so I have a receipt, record my mileage, and file it away with all my other Versa stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Do it yourself and save the reciepts. It will not void your warranty. You can not save the receipts and if the engine blows they will need to prove it was from lack of oil change that caused the failure. But remember nissan's pockets are deeper then yours when fighting them. And you will be carless while it's under investigation, which they can drag out.

So to answer your question No it will not void your warranty but save receipts to cover your butt.

I don't save mine as I buy in bulk for oil. I should save my filter receipts but I'm too lazy.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
This is the standard warranty in The States

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
Rust: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Cool ... I didn't know you got a standard rust warranty!

I extended mine so I have:
7 years 120K
Rust 10 years
Sound 10 years
Paint 5 years
Fabric 4 years

And then the new extended warranty for our CVT's here are 10 years/200K

And I have roadside for the full 7 years/120K

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Anyone know if it's hard to change the oil in the Versa? I've changed the oil before but not on the Versa.
Please see the howto here for changing your oil. I do believe you have the HR16DE so all the pics will be exactly like your car.

howto oil change hr16de

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Is HR16DE the engine code?
Yes all the 1.6's up to 2010 at least use HR16DE while all the 1.8's are using the MR18DE. Those are the engine codes. HR is family of engine 16 stands for 1.6 liters of displacement, D is for DOHC or dual overhead cam while the E is for Electronic fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
$10 on gas! Holy smokes!

Here, I'm happy if it's around $40 ... (this is to fill the tank when it's pretty much empty)

Lately it's been just under $40 to fill as gas has been under $1.00/litre.
Today I think it is around 93cents a litre. Next time I go across the border, I'll fill her up. Usually it costs me about $25-$30 to fill up there!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Usually cost me just under $30 lately to fill and I get about 500 miles before I need to refuel.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$10 on gas! Holy smokes!

Here, I'm happy if it's around $40 ... (this is to fill the tank when it's pretty much empty)

Lately it's been just under $40 to fill as gas has been under $1.00/litre.
Today I think it is around 93cents a litre. Next time I go across the border, I'll fill her up. Usually it costs me about $25-$30 to fill up there!
You guys have liters? We have gallons. And the most I've spent is $20.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.