Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HR16DE engine in new Canadian 2014 Note.
Manual specs say 3.5 Liters of approved oil w/ new filter.
When completed, run, let sit for 30 minutes and rechecked, Dipstick shows considerably above maximum mark (near half liter).

Is manual or dipstick incorrect?
Local Dealer redoes oil/filter thing and comes up with same results -overfill then shrugs pointing to manual specs of Nissan.

An unofficial American site claims 3.5 QUARTS to refill w/ filter which makes for 3.3 Liters, Canadian.

I'm sure this 1.6 Nissan engine has been around for a while so would anyone know what is actually correct oil fill w/ filter 'cause my dealer just follows the manual regardless of confusing outcomes.

Tks in advance for advice,
Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you sure you have the right dipstick? Stranger things have happened...

To change oil & filter in 2013 Versa
3 & 3/4 USA qt
3 & 1/8 qt Imperial
3.5 liters metric

Maybe they're putting in 3 & 1/2 Imperial quarts instead of liters?

Quick fix? Drain yourself, catch in clean pan, measure into correct size bottles and refill with funnel. Keep remainder as proof to bitch at dumb service manager.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HR16DE engine in new Canadian 2014 Note.
Manual specs say 3.5 Liters of approved oil w/ new filter.
When completed, run, let sit for 30 minutes and rechecked, Dipstick shows considerably above maximum mark (near half liter).

Is manual or dipstick incorrect?
Local Dealer redoes oil/filter thing and comes up with same results -overfill then shrugs pointing to manual specs of Nissan.

An unofficial American site claims 3.5 QUARTS to refill w/ filter which makes for 3.3 Liters, Canadian.

I'm sure this 1.6 Nissan engine has been around for a while so would anyone know what is actually correct oil fill w/ filter 'cause my dealer just follows the manual regardless of confusing outcomes.

Tks in advance for advice,
Bill
Went to dealer with my dipstick in hand and with Parts Manager in tow, compared mine to 2014 showroom Note on dealership floor.
They were identical but showroom model is not overfilled.

Parts Manager says the HR16DE engine is NEW for the '14 Note.
All I can see is that it has a tiny oil pan that reminds me of an ice cube tray in old refrigerators only more shallow.
(He also mentioned that most buyers these days prefer to have dealership maintain there vehicles and rarely if ever, open the hood themselves...)

Based on this forum's suggestion at this point, I will drain .2 or .3 liters from the 3.5 dealer fill that garage section of dealer said was exact at that after first warranty refill where his manual said 4.0 liters w/ new filter!

Parts Manager said he would e-mail Nissan about this 'issue' but it could be months before this 'issue' is investigated...

Sooo...I've got a 2014 Note Manual that devotes pages to how to put on your seatbelt on or change a wiper blade yourself but oil change specs may be from an older 1.6?
Gee wizz, I'm so sorry. We gave you A positive blood in your transfusion instead of B negative...but are you still brushing regularly?

Anyone know if this HR16DE engine in 2014 Note is actually new or am I just being told another plausible tale by my dealership guy? (Engine ID is upper right side of spec page 9-7 in my new manual.

Tks again in advance for your comments.
Bill

·
Registered
637 Posts
as far as i know the Note uses the same engine as the versa sedan so i would have to go with the dealer not knowing what they are talking about...same engine code on sedan and Note HR16DE so shouldnt be different

·
Registered
1 Posts
The saga of oil fill correctness is at an end!

Finally, my dealership does a show and tell of the offending "official" Nissan oil filter used in Canada and on my vehicle.

It is the size of a small tea cup.

The "official" Nissan filter elsewhere is the size of a tall coffee mug with both being the same diamater. Thus, the missing .3 liters is revealed!

Why in all that is Dow and Jones would they put a smaller filter on Canadian Nissan Products? A shoulder shrug is my reply and a mention that Nissan will be sending out a 'bulliten' to correct this Canadian filter problem.

(Now what did I do with that oil bottle only .3 liters full...)
Sigh,
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did the first oil change on my 2014 Nissan Versa S. The manual says the oil capacity is 3.75 us qts. I measured this amount perfectly with a measuring cup and filled the crankcase after draining the oil and changing the filter. I live in the hills so I have no level area on my property the check the dipstick and get an accurate reading. I really wasn't worried since I followed the manual. I drove the car to the nearest town which is about 30 miles. I pulled into a gas station and checked the oil. I was shocked to see that it was a half quart overfull on the dipstick. I even compared the fram tough guard oil filter to the factory filter before putting it on and it was the same size. I had to drive the car 30 miles back home, pull the plug and drain out a half quart into a measuring cup. I just hope I didn't hurt anything with that 60 mile round drip a quart overfull.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I usually overfill mine by a half inch on the dipstick.
240000km no issues

·
Registered
690 Posts
*Head shake*, the piddly shit that gets posted to these forums. Only when we get over this phase will the others take us seriously.

·
Registered
637 Posts
*Head shake*, the piddly shit that gets posted to these forums. Only when we get over this phase will the others take us seriously.
im still waiting for that day as well, but also surprised that no one has started a forum just for the Note lol. just keep in mind that even if things do pick up here it is still best to lend a helping hand even to the person with the most basic question, cause you never know, they may be able to help you down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is this "piddly"? I'd say that the fact that different regions and dealerships use different size oil filters which effect the engines oil capacity and contradicts the owners manuals specs is a relevant topic. That is the purpose of this forum is it not? Who are these "others" that you speak of that are not taking us seriously?

·
Registered
637 Posts
How is this "piddly"? I'd say that the fact that different regions and dealerships use different size oil filters which effect the engines oil capacity and contradicts the owners manuals specs is a relevant topic. That is the purpose of this forum is it not? Who are these "others" that you speak of that are not taking us seriously?

fitfreak would be one that doesnt take this forums seriously

·
Registered
226 Posts
that's a relatively minor amount of overfill anyway. That's not going to build up enough pressure to harm anything.

HR16DE is not new, being in production since about '05 globally, The HR16DET as used in the Juke, is much newer, but not that different, just modified for turbo useage.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
that's a relatively minor amount of overfill anyway. That's not going to build up enough pressure to harm anything.

HR16DE is not new, being in production since about '05 globally, The HR16DET as used in the Juke, is much newer, but not that different, just modified for turbo useage.
Juke uses an MR16DDT. It has direct injection also. It is an entirely different beast than the HR16DE. There are a few renault turbo engines that came out that are considered in the HR family. Why I am not entirely sure but I read it in Alliance publications. Possibly the same blocks, this is what I am thinking. The latest one being the h5ft engine. Which has been replacing the HR16DE engines all over the world in nissans, except North America.

Back to the topic on hand, I agree it's a small amount of oil. Some people like to be meticulous though. Not a bad thing at all. Usually those peoples have the best used cars to buy. My kind of 1st owner :grin

·
Registered
440 Posts
lol Who are the "others"?

I wouldn't consider this piddly myself. What I would consider pathetic, is the discrepancy between a manual for a vehicle and the actual object in question. There really should only be one answer, not a response that includes a variable of "well if this oil filter is used then x happens".

Oil level indicators are there for a reason on dipsticks. If it were not important, why have them on there are all? Too much or too little oil cause adverse effects on any motor.

·
Registered
226 Posts
woops

not sure where my brain was on that one. I'm new to these engine designations, but that was pretty bad.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I usually overfill mine by a half inch on the dipstick.
240000km no issues
Your comment caught my eye. Sorry for the late response, just joined the forum...

Good to know that you have not had any problems overfilling your crankcase by 1/2 inch. Overfilling is typically NOT a good idea as liquid oil turns to foam when the crankshaft beats the liquid oil repeatedly, which usually leads to premature engine failure.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Overfilling is typically NOT a good idea as liquid oil turns to foam when the crankshaft beats the liquid oil repeatedly, which usually leads to premature engine failure.
One time I accidentally filled Sentra with whole jug. Resulted in bubbles in the oil. Did correct it quickly, was more than an inch over cross hatch zone
Welcome

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.