Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all, been awhile since I visited here.

I changed out the air filter first time, 22k miles. There was oil residue on the filter, inlet side, mostly on the bottom end of the filter. Nothing made it through to the 'clean' side.

Is this normal? Engine does not use any oil (it shouldn't at 22k). There also was a small amount of dust, sand, bugs and small leaves in the inlet side of the housing. Sort of surprised, as the air inlet is at the top of the grill. I vacuumed out the housing before installing the new filter.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
106 Posts
After several air filter changes on the Versa, and comparing with my other vehicles, I have noticed and commented before that the Versa air filter seems to get dirtier faster than most others. I am not sure why, but it would have to be a function of where the air intake is and what kind of tiny debri is kicked up by traffic.

My V8 Tundra's air filter (which consumes way more air than a small 4 cylinder) will look downright clean at 20k miles and that includes a lot of dirt road driving in the Tundra, as compared to the Versa filter at 10k miles.

I replace the Versa air filter every year (10-12k of driving).

A little bit of oil residue on the dirty side of filter element is something I have seen before on other cars from time to time. The comment from APLPIX is right on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi to all, been awhile since I visited here.

I changed out the air filter first time, 22k miles. There was oil residue on the filter, inlet side, mostly on the bottom end of the filter. Nothing made it through to the 'clean' side.

Is this normal? Engine does not use any oil (it shouldn't at 22k). There also was a small amount of dust, sand, bugs and small leaves in the inlet side of the housing. Sort of surprised, as the air inlet is at the top of the grill. I vacuumed out the housing before installing the new filter.

Thanks for any comments.
Well, I remember having some residue on the air filter that was such annoying thing. The crankcase is vented directly into the airbox which keep it oily. It has to do with the EPA wanting the oily air to be burnt through the engine and not vented directly to the atmosphere.but now im looking for a change...probably like this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.