Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Im looking for a new car and was wondering about the Versa a bit since its getting into my price range. I previously owned an;87 Nissan Pulsar NX and an '87 Sentra hatchback and I absolutely adored them. By far my favorite vehicles Ive owned.

I was looking into small cheap hatches and wound up sitting in a Nissan hatch at my local Subaru dealer. Absolutely loved it. Everything was so simple and mostly manual/analog. This one was sadly an automatic which I wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole. Quick search online brought up this 6 speed beauty:

2009 Nissan Versa for sale in Hummels Wharf - 3N1BC13E29L357163 - Sunbury Motors Kia

Well, the beauty part is subjective. I loathe bright red (but at least its not the sedan form, dont even get me started about my hatred for sedan versions of what should ONLY be hatchbacks). Took it for a spin and didnt noticed any severe knocking or anything. Did have some noisyness once warm but it seemed to be normal valvetrain/injector noise.

Any advice? Hows the price seem? I checked on an Atomic Orange Xterra they have (rare as hell, less than 1000 of them!) and they overshot the KBB by almost $2.5k on that one. Plus Ive never heard an Xterra with a knocking engine like that before =[

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hatch only eh? U sure you're not Canadian? :)
Hatch and stick awesome combo, get an SL if u can, better seats. But will have power locks and windows.
Versa S with manual every thing easier to find.
Welcome

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Do you specifically want manual windows and locks? If so then the Versa is right up your ally. But if you don't mind the power stuff I would look into an older mazda 3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hatch only eh? U sure you're not Canadian? :)
Hatch and stick awesome combo, get an SL if u can, better seats. But will have power locks and windows.
Versa S with manual every thing easier to find.
Welcome
Well its not that I hate sedans, its just I feel vehicles like the Versa/Yaris/Focus/Fiesta/SX4/etc etc were made with the hatch in mind. The sedans all just look really sloppy to me, like they were made as an afterthought (which some obviously were). I would flat out prefer manual everything. Hell I even plan to rip the A/C and rear seats out of whatever I get. I just want a super simple vehicle that i can haul stuff in basically

Do you specifically want manual windows and locks? If so then the Versa is right up your ally. But if you don't mind the power stuff I would look into an older mazda 3.
I wouldnt be horribly against power options but i would prefer manual for reliability and ease. I love the 3 hatches but i cant really ever find them locally. Ive stumbled on three reasonably priced Versa's locally but only a couple Mazda 3's in the past year (and most are overpriced). Plus I have always been a fan of Nissans. I did own a Miata, but my old Pulsar was honestly more fun than that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Welcome. The MR18 issues are well documented. It seems that there were a day(s) when it was excessively hot where they were built (Mexico), enough to affect piston fit significantly, resulting in cold piston slap, a time bomb issue of when and not if. However, diagnosing without disassembly is muddied by the fact that they have a noisy top end (chains, solid lifters with solid profile cams), so it becomes hard to distinguish.

I personally love Versa's, they're not what everyone else has, plus i always tend to like stuff nobody else likes. I completely agree with you, evidently the hatch was designed first, and the sedan was a (bad) afterthought. Tons of space. Matter of fact, i just last weekend got 8 people in my 07, not including me. I'll explain by saying it was a fun night, and i and another girl were the only sober ones that night (i don't like getting drunk).

Quality wise, the early ones to me were built better than the later ones. I have an early (07) fully loaded SL 6 speed. That 6 speed tranny is bulletproof, i pound on those synchro's, i am using Royal Purple right now though which improved a bit. Front ends seem strong with no real design flaws. In fact i'm surprised how long i've gone without tie rods. Haven't had a problem with the electric steering.

Rust wise, i have 333 000KM on mine, and live in Canada, nuff said. Areas where there is a little rust starting is the top of the firewall near the cowling, and it seems the exterior window seals trap water, i have a bit of bubbling on one of the lower parts of the RR door pillar. For the mileage and area, i have negligible rust. I also do alot of sandblasting as a hobby, so i am not worried about rust...

Brakes are pretty damn painless, rear drums especially (when adjusted properly of course), i still have factory brake shoes. I just do a brake service now and then (take drums off, clean, sand, lubricate, re-adjust).

08Versailles we should meet up someday. I'm going to be doing the MR20 swap this summer with my tax money hopefully. I wanted coilovers, but need to make it faster first.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.