Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In cold areas, I've noticed that the engine cannot keep warm if you have the heat to max!

I am so glad I got heated seats, but really, it really sucks when it's 5 below zero and even if you let the engine warm up fully. If you turn the heat on, you can see the engine cool down on the temp gauge! You can feel the heat getting cooler also!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Have you tried covering the grill to restrict air flow on the radiator?

Reactions: kevinrs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, if it's 5 below zero, something like covering the grill might be the option. Need to be sure to remove it when the weather warms up. I know I've seen semis with grill covers.
Around here, probably not so much of an issue, rarely gets into teens, lowest I've seen it's dipped into single digits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Kat-Hat said... This is pretty common to do with smaller cars in really cold climates and really is not a manufacturing fault. As another benefit besides keeping your heat, engine temps in good standing, is that you will actually get better gas mileage as your car will stop running in Cold mode ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
In cold areas, I've noticed that the engine cannot keep warm if you have the heat to max!

I am so glad I got heated seats, but really, it really sucks when it's 5 below zero and even if you let the engine warm up fully. If you turn the heat on, you can see the engine cool down on the temp gauge! You can feel the heat getting cooler also!
What year is your Versa Hatch? I have a Note and survived last year's winter here in SE Michigan but heater performance is definitely marginal.

Have you tried covering the grill to restrict air flow on the radiator?
In my case I doubt it if covering the grille will actually help since I only use the car for short trips and at lower speeds.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
You'd be surprised, completely covering the grill can make quite a difference. Throw a moving blanket or tarp over it next time its cold and see what happens. If it works you've solved your problem and can figure out a better way to do it. If it doesn't your not out any money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should move south! :devil:

I've got the opposite problem in South Florida. It's either hot or hotter. Our winter lasts for maybe 2 weeks. It's not even cold for Christmas time anymore. Just hot & humid all the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please help for next winter ... - 25 C !!!

Hi,

I am quite happy to realize that i am not alone to live this sad situation about driving car like a POPSICLE on seat. I just bought this car Versa 2012 last month 30000km )

I am expecting to install heat seat and need some help (picture, video and comment)

Is there any solution about this issue of heating because dealer changer thermostat for 180 C and confirm me that it is normal that i doest not heat in cold time.

DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2015 S+ will keep you quite comfortable at highway speeds; slowing for city traffic is like turning on the a.c.. I keep a lap blanket handy. I don't know how you residents of the Great White North tolerate that cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts