Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was today one year ago that I walked into the dealership said I want a 1.6v with AC and drove off with one. Here is how my first year with the V has gone. So far she has been almost perfect. There was one no start issue, one odd TPMS light issue, one stuck wheel issue, and a missing valve stem cap.

As far as self induced problems go I have a couple. I dented in both passenger doors by trying to be courteous to a huge SUV at the gas station. I moved over so slightly and hit a pylon. Then there was the incident with the world largest raccoon. Bastard busted up my front bumper. So she got pretty beat up in her first year. Hopefully there won't be any more damage and I can repair what has been done this year. I see a sport bumper in my future :).

I didn't buy too much for the V. I originally bought All weather nissan mats when I picked up the car. Those turned out to be junk and fell apart already. Luckily I found a guy selling the carpeted mats on CL and had picked those up for cheap. They are now in the car and I love them. I also grabbed a radio from a member here because mine didn't come with one. That was easy plug n' play. I also bought a motion sensor battery powered LED light to use as a trunk light. Thing works great BTW. Last thing I bought was some altima 5 star wheels. These are going to look sweet when I'm done. I am refinishing them now. I'm going to paint them BBS gold I believe.

I have traveled 31,500 miles in my first year of ownership. So far it has never gotten me less then 34mpg. Lately I have been getting 44mpg due to new driving style. I was nervous buying the V because I had read how it doesn't do all that great on gas. But I now I am very glad I got it. It has exceeded my expectations. I am pushing for 50mpg without any extreme hypermiling techniques. This current tank might be the one as I've traveled 300miles thus far and just hit the half tank mark. As always you guys will be the first to know.

Not only because the V had a low price tag (under $12k) but it's very low cost to own is why I bought it. This has been even lower then expected. Insurance is $50 month full coverage. This was way less then toyota or honda's offerings. Most likely due to the fact that those are high on the theft list and the V is not. Also with my driving style I'm following nissan's schedule 2 maintenance. That means 7500 mile oil changes. So I have only had to do 4 on my V. I also only had to do one air filter change and I extended my incabin filter to every 30k instead of the suggested 15k. So again only one this year.

Here is my breakdown on ownership:
car ---------------$12k
gas --------------$2,205 (guestimated 40mpg lifetime average times $2.80 gallon average)
oil changes --------$60 (four changes at $15 each)
air/cabin filters -----$23 (for both filters shipped from www.rockauto.com)

I have to say my V has been great. Next year there is a few more maintenance things like coolant but again fingers crossed at another year of almost flawless performance.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Awesome write up. Sounds like a good first year. Time flies by!!!

Mines now 2 years. Only issue was the fuel pressure regulator and slight leak with sunroof. No TMPS here on canadian versas.

I can't wait to see the rims you got. Be sure to post up pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome write up. Sounds like a good first year. Time flies by!!!

Mines now 2 years. Only issue was the fuel pressure regulator and slight leak with sunroof. No TMPS here on canadian versas.

I can't wait to see the rims you got. Be sure to post up pictures.
Time does fly! I didn't have the FPR issue. When mine didn't start it was my own fault. I started the car and let the key go before the engine caught. So I kinda flooded it. I had to wait a little bit then it was fine.

Most would say you are lucky to not have the TPMS. I think most everyone despises it. Mine has worked as intended and is great I think. It's nice to know when you are low on pressure and need to top it off with air. My one issue the light started flashing about 20 minutes into a trip. It only flashed for 10 seconds or so then lit solid for about a minute. Finally shut itself off before I got to my destination. I do believe on sensor lost connection with the brains of the system. So it flashed until it reconnected. Why it happened I don't know but doesn't seem to be a common or reoccurring thing.

Here are the wheels I got. They are from a 1993 altima SE. I have always loved these wheels and I love OEM wheels for some reason. I didn't want to get too big of wheels do to weight and tire sizes. I can't afford nice light 17" wheels. These were $50 with tires on them. Bigger wheels require lower profile tires, which have lower warranty and treadware ratings. When you drive 31,500 miles a year you need to keep in mind things like this.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Oh those are nice. I can't wait to see them on your Versa. Yes it seems most people despise the TMPS. I have nitrogen filled tires that came from the dealer that way. I do swap them for the winters so they are still practically brand new. But after 2 years of owning these nitrogen filled stock tires the
PSI went down this year. I have never had to add anything to them unt we put them on this spring. We just added regular air from my dads compressor. My brother has TMPS on his sentra but he has not found it to be a nuissance. His tires didn't come filled with nitrogen. So his
light goes on quite frequently. I just make a point to check the tire pressure every so often.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh those are nice. I can't wait to see them on your Versa. Yes it seems most people despise the TMPS. I have nitrogen filled tires that came from the dealer that way. I do swap them for the winters so they are still practically brand new. But after 2 years of owning these nitrogen filled stock tires the
PSI went down this year. I have never had to add anything to them unt we put them on this spring. We just added regular air from my dads compressor. My brother has TMPS on his sentra but he has not found it to be a nuissance. His tires didn't come filled with nitrogen. So his
light goes on quite frequently. I just make a point to check the tire pressure every so often.
My light has come on twice. Both times it was the tire that had the missing valve stem cap. The other tires were fine after 30k miles. Maybe down a psi or two but not enough to illuminate the light. Since replacing the cap no light. If it's coming on frequently then maybe something needs to be checked out.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Ya it doesn't bother me about not having it. I just have to check it myself every so often. You have more mileage than me! You drive quite a bit. Thats like my brother he has only had his sentra since sept and he has over 15k now. His car is going to be older than mine soon lol. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like she's been pretty good for you! The TMPS is kinda annoying, once ours came one, even tho we weren't too low on air, we had to put more in, and it was a bit over the recommended PSI to get it off. >.> but it's been fine since, even after we put new tires on. Tho something else might be wrong now.

I think OEM wheels are better than a lot of after market.

I absolutely LOVE these wheels, and If I ever get my 3rd gen CRV I'm hunting a cheap set of these wheels!

These are awesome OEM wheels too, I had a set on my cavalier

·
Registered
452 Posts
dude i also recently hit the worlds largest raccoon it magically avoided like 18 cars but ran smack right infront of me lol so now my sport bumper is smashed and hanging off again...

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dude i also recently hit the worlds largest raccoon it magically avoided like 18 cars but ran smack right infront of me lol so now my sport bumper is smashed and hanging off again...

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
That sucks, especially with the sport bumpers. I would cry if I hit an animal. A squirrel ran out In front of me this morning and it scared me. I would hate to injure any type of animal.

Last summer my brother hit a coyote on our new redhill exressway. It was his first weekend with the BMW and broke his fog light and grille. He bought the parts down south and my dad replaces it for him. It looks like new again. Poor coyote didn't make it. Lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i wasnt really concerned with the raccoon it was break dancing just fine... lmao

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.