Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I got a 07 SL from a friend over the summer as a commuter car and it's been great. Getting just about 30mpg, which is a whole lot better than the 15mpg from the old Jeep Cherokee XJ that I was driving. That in turn, makes the wife happy.

However, the wife doesn't like the ride in the Versa and wants me to look into getting back to stock with a more cushy ride. I'm not sure what springs are on the car, but I know it's lowered and has 205/50/17's on it right now with Motegi wheels.

Here's where the "opposite" comes in. I need to know what size tire/wheel combination I can use on the stock springs. I might need to raise the car back up and if I can fit the 17" Motegi's with a higher-profile wheel, I would like to do that.

I've looked in the forums and tried searching for something to help, but unable to find anything.

**Can I use 17" wheels with a higher profile tire on stock springs to give it a more soft ride and not feel all the potholes/imperfections in the road??** If 17" is too big a wheel on stock suspension, what is the best option to get a softer ride?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Try 215/45/17 if you want to keep the wheels. Shouldn't have any clearance or comfort issues. You can even go 215/50 if you're going back to stock height.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A little bit of sidewall doesn't make a huge difference in ride. Going back to stock size will make an appreciable difference. Track section width does help too though, so going to a 215 may help. Run them at 30PSI (depending upon load index of tire). This segment of cars all just ride like that though, it's a compact import. It won't ever ride as good as a big soft Cherokee does. Especially an XJ.

Theoretically you (or rather they; the manufacturers) can change the valving of struts to attain a softer ride and add taller softer springs, but the market for suspension that goes the opposite of what everyone wants is very small.

The rear torsion bar doesn't really absorb bumps very well inherent in it's design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll just get some nice 15's and go back to stock. Any recommendations for good tires?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm not sure which tires you are actually running right now, but a quality tire can make all the difference in the world as well. Not sure how much you want to spend though. I found the ride with my 17's and tanabe springs too rough, so I went with a 16" wheel and spent the money for a good set of tires… I wish I could remember what they were… I'm thinking 205/65? Just can't remember the brand, will post back if I remember… but anyways, I paid something around $190-$200/tire and man did I get what I paid for. Smooth, quiet, and handled better than the 215/45's I had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
07VersaSLCVT
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing