Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Versa with 106,000 miles.

I have been getting P0022 codes for the last 6000 or so ( maybe more ).

It says "camshaft actuator - timing advanced" on the code reader.

So I replaced the camshaft position sensor - worth a shot, I thought. No dice codes still there even after clearing.

My question is: Do oil additives ( STP ) contribute to this problem? I've seen some posts that imply that it is a factor, along with oil level and or quality.

Thanks!

D

·
Registered
690 Posts
That would indicate to me that it's keeping cam timing at the high end setting (ie advanced 14 degrees or something like that), what's low end driveability like? Lose any torque or general loss of driveability? The cam position sensor will be one of the main inputs for VVT actuation, but there's probably a few other inputs that would confuse the ECU if they are bad. What is your current oil change interval? Type of driving? Mostly city? Lots of idling? Sludge could cause it to stick. If you want, toss in half a liter of any major manufacturer ATF a day before your oil change, drive around with that for no more than a day.

People scoff, but it works... I like Seafoam too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AH - I think you answered it. I started adding about a half bottle of STP additive after 100k - that does seem to he about when it started. Perhaps the STP is doing the same thing sludge would do - make the VVT actuator stick? I just couldn't understand why oil would have anything to do with an error code, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

To answer your questions:

Low end driveability is bad - sometimes stalls off the line (it's a stick). Rough idle sometimes.

Yeah some loss of torque - suppose that explains the easy stall?

Oil changes every 4-7 k.

85% highway or so.

Definately going to run some seafoam or atf for an afternoon and then change.

Ill let you know what happens.

Thanks for the excellent reply.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Which engine do you have? There is a good chance your CVTC solenoid is to blame.

This is the best pic online I can find of it on a newer HR16DE.

To the left of the yellow dipstick handle you will see a solenoid with a pink wire. That is the intake cam cvtc solenoid. I believe the newer engines also have one on the back for the exhaust cam.

I personally never run any additives and I run my cars for many many miles. I see you must to to have 106k on a 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran an oil cleaner through and then changed the oil back to straight conventional, reset the codes, and still have the rough idle and light on.

SO - It looks like I'll be looking at the cam solenoids next. Thanks for taking the time to post a picture robj80. That helps.

I'll post back here if that does it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You could probably probe the coil yourself for resistance, unplugging the connector and probing the two terminals on the solenoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.