Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a P0420 CEL in my Versa for a while, also noticed a lack of power. Fairly sure it's a bad catalytic converter.

Realistically, how long can I just leave it be until the car dies? I've been driving around with this CEL on for about a year now. The cost of buying and installing a new cat is more than the car is worth and we don't have emissions testing here.

2009 Versa, base model, 215k kilometres. I would love to repair it properly but given how old it is, it doesn't really make economic sense.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have had a P0420 CEL in my Versa for a while, also noticed a lack of power. Fairly sure it's a bad catalytic converter.

Realistically, how long can I just leave it be until the car dies? I've been driving around with this CEL on for about a year now. The cost of buying and installing a new cat is more than the car is worth and we don't have emissions testing here.
check eBay..you might find a good deal and then you can change it yourself with some help from a friend, as needed.
It's not that bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just a thought. I had the same code, lack of power and the car was louder. It was an exhaust leak that was only apparent when I sprayed soapy water on the flange.
I put in a new gasket, tighten it and put exhaust cement. Going on 5 years now,...

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
112 Posts
If you don't have to go through an emissions check or an inspection process, you could always remove the catalytic converter, break all of the honeycomb substrate (contents) out of it (use an old screwdriver, punch, etc), dump out the contents and re-install the now empty cat/pipe. Your lack of power is probably caused by the honeycomb substrate (contents) being clogged and restricting your exhaust.

Of course your check engine light will always be on (with a P0420 code) and could mask a second code that might pop up, so you may need to check for other codes with a OBD2 scanner from time to time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
you could always remove the catalytic converter, break all of the honeycomb substrate (contents) out of it (use an old screwdriver, punch, etc), dump out the contents and re-install the now empty cat/pipe.
I am not a tree hugger, but OP still better use the least expensive aftermarket cat instead of a straight pipe. You most likely never been in places where vehicles did not have catalytic converters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much

2009 Versa, base model, 215k kilometres. I would love to repair it properly but given how old it is, it doesn't really make economic sense.
What were the 3 quotes you received?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
112 Posts
I am not a tree hugger, but OP still better use the least expensive aftermarket cat instead of a straight pipe. You most likely never been in places where vehicles did not have catalytic converters.
I'm a firm proponent of keeping a vehicle stock with correct parts, but I've also been in situations where I'm trying to drag an old car/truck back and forth to work to pay the rent.
In those situations, I'll do whatever is necessary to keep a roof over my head.

In my youth, my vehicles were literally held together with bailing wire and duct tape. I used roofing flashing to patch exhaust pipes and scraps of metal for floorboards. I had an old Ford truck that I wrote 90% Ford - 10% Misc. on the tailgate, because it was true. Even in her diminished capacity, the old girl would start every morning and keep going down the road.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The OP did mention he was concerned about what would make "economic sense".
This just shows that he is mature enough.

If the OP was "flushed with cash" he would just purchase a replacement catalytic converter.
Not necessarily. Many people who are "flushed with cash" use a good "economic sense". That how they got "flushed with cash" in the first place.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Todays market, anything is almost worth fixing! Used cars around here you are spending 1.2k for what was a "500" dollar beater.

Reactions: nobody
1 - 14 of 14 Posts