Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys

So, my SES light just came on a couple days ago. Last night, I got the code reader out and got 2 codes (P1148 and P0031).

P1148 is a Closed Loop Control Function in Bank 1.
P0031 is Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Heater Bank 1 Control Circuit Low

I would Imagine these two are related.

I did book an appointment at Nissan, for Friday, before I had access to a code reader, But I would like to try and do it on my own if it were possible.

I would imagine I need to replace the Heated Oxygen Sensor. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
These two are related yes. Your pre cat o2 sensor that is calculating air fuel ratio is DEAD i had this problem 2 weeks ago 169$ for the sensor and it's 1h30 of work to replace it if i remember. if you look at the engine bay the o2 sensor is behind the engine you'll need to remove you OEM air intake to reach it, then when replaced you erase the codes and everything will be ok, for now you versa will get the worst miles/gal consumption ever seen... because with no air fuel o2 sensor the car goes all in with the gas. As it's replaced everything will be back to normal.

Reactions: Tony c

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I will leave my appointment with the dealership and get it looked after.

It is weird how everyone says about the gas mileage. It makes sense with the fuel ratio running rich, but I haven't had any worse mileage yet.

Thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
That was my pleasure! In my case it was worse but maybe you are a lucky guy after all hehe, You are lucky that there is these two codes because mine i had a P2A00 between january and may that wasn't telling anything to anybody even at the dealer. I found that it was the o2 sensor when i erased my codes and saw those two you had. I called the dealer again and they told me that the o2 sensor was dead and i needed to replace it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, that would be a pain, and the dealers charge for everything and they are never cheap. That's part of the reason I wanted to avoid them. When I made the appointment, I didn't know what the codes were, so they said they would run a diagnostic, which they wanted 100 bucks for. It's unreal. Thankfully my Uncle had a code reader. Hopefully, now I can call them and tell them and they can just change it when I go in on Friday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, one more question. Did you only buy the part from Nissan and install it yourself, or did Nissan do the install for you too?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I called Nissan, to tell them of my wonderful discoveries. And the service guy there said that you can't always trust the generic obd readers, and that I should still have a diagnostics run with them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I actually work in a garage so i repaired the car here by a mechanic. The dealer told me that they need to reprogram the o2 sensor with ecu because it's not the same brand than the other, and finally they told me that there was no reprogramming to do on the car the guy erased my codes and they charged me 25$ for it ......... i never asked for especially because i have a reader. you can be sure that they do not need to make a diagnostic on the car replace the o2 that's it and when you'l erase the codes the SES will not come back as i told you this happened to me two weeks ago :) of course there is some specific codes that generic reader can guide you to a part of the problem but the information i gave to you is confirmed by my nissan dealer.:thumb2:

There is no need to pay 100$ for a diagnosis on the car :p

There's only one o2 sensor that is calculating the A/F ratio and it's the one before the cathalyser :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! Again thanks for the help. I'm thinking that I will print this conversation off so that I can show them as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There is actually a TSB out for those service codes. Came out in 2009, don't know if it applies. Its for 07 Versa's with DTC: P0031, P2A00, or P1148.

Reference: NTB08-074a

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just had my wallet raped by Nissan. But the car is great.

So the battery had a dead cell, which gave it enough power to start. So I had the battery changed and the sensor changed. The turn over with the ignition is so nice and a lot better than before.

But my bank account is feeling the pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These two are related yes. Your pre cat o2 sensor that is calculating air fuel ratio is DEAD i had this problem 2 weeks ago 169$ for the sensor and it's 1h30 of work to replace it if i remember. if you look at the engine bay the o2 sensor is behind the engine you'll need to remove you OEM air intake to reach it, then when replaced you erase the codes and everything will be ok, for now you versa will get the worst miles/gal consumption ever seen... because with no air fuel o2 sensor the car goes all in with the gas. As it's replaced everything will be back to normal.
whre is of location of oxygen sensor for codes p0031/p1148

1 - 14 of 14 Posts