Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the hub caps off Chuckie, and a couple of them are in really bad shape. Most of the paint has chipped off two of the hubs. I was thinking of painting them (still in a silver colour).

What's the process for painting hubs?
Do I just wash, sand, prime and paint?

What paint do I buy? Is it Dupli-colour paint, and is it labelled for rims?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Ashley, you're right, basically just wash, sand, prime and paint.

For sanding, you'll want to use a fine grit sandpaper preferable aluminum oxide, something 3M carries or any other company. Aluminum oxide makes the backing of the sheet more durable and prone to tears. The sheets work great or you can get the sponge pads. They're not very coarse, but rust is not friendly! Just a selection of the stuff they carry.
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-dry-sanding-sheets-3-2-3-in-by-9-in-jdv25p1ldg.html

What you can get is the Primer Sealer for priming Duplicolor. It's suppose to give you a fine uniform smooth finish after it dries. Let the primer dry for about 8 hours, but it depends on the product and how much is applied. It should say on the can how long it takes to dry completely. Once that step is completed, a clear coat can be applied, but it's optional. Here's a link of the different types of primers.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html

And the paint selection, they have silver but I'm not sure if it will perfectly match. They don't have any wheel paint specifically, but the body paint will work fine.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good! I plan to sand, prime and paint each hubcap. That way they look like new. I figure if Chuckie is not going anywhere, I might as well make him look a little better.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to paint them silver. I'm sticking with the colour they are, just giving them each a fresh coat of paint to make them look newer.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hubs? They are the original ones. Not the prettiest but Chuckie just looks plain awkward with naked wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
IMO it looks pretty good because the windows are dark, it was black moldings, and steel wheels, but I agree, it's not a sporty ride, it would look better with OEM wheels.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya the van has a lot of dark accents on it (moldings, windows, handles, mirrors); but it just looks weird to me without them.

Mind you the OEM hubs are quite ugly, but hopefully with some new paint it will be okay.

I'm thinking of repainting some areas that my dad painted on his exterior. The poor guy is rusting all over again :(

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya ... He reshaped most of the wheel wheels, and front bumper/hood at the beginning of last summer. Then we took it to Myrtle Beach and when we came back home it looked awful.

I think I may just throw a quick coat on top of some parts of the hood, just to cover up some of the parts that have chipped off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts