Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 liter with approximately 113,000 miles. Recently, the brake pedal has begun to intermittently vibrate/shake. I notice it while moving and while stopped. It does not change with the amount of pressure I apply. I changed the top engine vibration dampener a few years ago. Visually, it still looks okay. I just changed the one on the bottom that attaches to the transmission. The one I took off had a slight bend to it. So, thought maybe that was the problem. Unfortunately, it was not.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and found a solution?

My next plan is to replace the engine mounts on the left and right of the car to see if that is the source. It is an easy replacement and the cheapest I can think of. The Beck/Arnley part I got for under the transmission seems like a good part. So I was going to go with them again for the two engine mounts. If anyone has other suggestions for better parts, I'm all ears. Hard to find good, non-Chinese parts these days.

If there are any additional details that could help narrow this problem down, I'd like to know. The a/c compressor was replaced recently by a Nissan stealership. I recently drained and replaced the manual transmission fluid. And the inner & outer tie rods are recently replaced. Also, the front struts are less and two years old and both lower control arms are recently replaced also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, my fuel pump die on Friday. I'll go with the engine mounts after I get it back and have the new tires put on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I've replaced all of the engine mounts and I still get a shaking pedal. I do notice that it is now more pronounced when I turn the air conditioning on. However, I believe that is due to the drop in RPM when I turn it on.

I'm beginning to think it is an issue internal to the transmission. Are there any moving parts in the transmission when the car is in neutral at a complete stop?

·
Registered
939 Posts
If the mounts were aftermarket then suspect them, the aftermarket OFTEN makes mounts of much stiffer rubber, they hold the part in place but more vibration even when new is very often a problem.

The OEM uses maybe 20-30 different rubber compounds and each one is chosen to work best with that particular engine, the aftermarket uses one rock hard rubber to fit all models on the planet and it SUCKS.

Put your thumbnail into the rubber; it is like concrete or a mount already 10 years old.

Besides that it's pretty rare to have a trans shake like that, getting worse with a/c on screams mounts, all 4 cylinders vibrate and normal, the mounts are what remove that. The engine drops in idle speed a bit with a/c on and that allows the vibration range to come into play, it gets worse the lower you go below about 750 rpm or so. Again, the engines do it unless they have balance shafts and sometimes even then. Passenger side mount is the worst and what is supposed to kill most of that type vibration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing