Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have posted up a good del about my wife's car and how I determined it had piston slap EVEN when the dealership attempted to tell me it was normal or just valve chatter. I wont go into detail about myself however my automotive skills are very extensive and quite sharp. I just want to give more people peace of mind and the knowledge of knowing if their car is as designed or if a problem exist. I have used this test for the better part of 10-12 years now. 100% of the time it has worked flawlessly. If you suspect your engine to suffer from piston slap, perform the following

Start your engine up after sitting for awhile (best overnight) and let run for 15 seconds. memmorize the severity and sound of the noise

Immediately turn the car off, remove all the spark plugs, and with an oil can squirt 2 squirts of oil into each cylinder, reinstall plugs.

Start the car and again listen to the sounds....IF the noise is greatly reduced OR gone all together, guess what, your engine has piston slap.

Because this is just a test to determine the results, the noise will return after about 15-20 seconds, and as usual not go awya until the engine warms and the piston expands which prevents it from slapping sided to side while it is also moving up and down.

Lmk what you guys come up with. I dont often offer my advice like this however I feel this may benefit quite a few members on here that are either not sure about the noise they hear and are worried, and or the members that are being lied to by their Nissan service dept.

Sincerely, Lawrence

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it doesnt unless you are having issues. It would be the 1st case I have seen in a 1.6L. Its primarily a 1.8L issue. Ironically imho, the only real fix for this is an MR20DE swap. Extremely easy to do and has already been nicely documented on here my another member with pics and other guidance. You should be just fine. :)
That's great info. I hope it doesn't affect us 1.6 owners.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
No it doesnt unless you are having issues. It would be the 1st case I have seen in a 1.6L. Its primarily a 1.8L issue. Ironically imho, the only real fix for this is an MR20DE swap. Extremely easy to do and has already been nicely documented on here my another member with pics and other guidance. You should be just fine. :)
She's good. I always make sure I do the required maintenance on time and check for noises. I chose Nissan for reliability so I hope it doesn't let me down. I have manual tranny and 1.6 motor so I should be good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, I am not trying to be the antichrist here, but choosing Nissan for this reason, well, is the wrong reason. They have slipped a good deal over the past 5-10 years. Cutting corners is not going to help reliability as much as it certainly will breed unintentional issues. With this said, I think the 1.6L engines were the way to go all along with the Versa. :)
She's good. I always make sure I do the required maintenance on time and check for noises. I chose Nissan for reliability so I hope it doesn't let me down. I have manual tranny and 1.6 motor so I should be good.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Again, I am not trying to be the antichrist here, but choosing Nissan for this reason, well, is the wrong reason. They have slipped a good deal over the past 5-10 years. Cutting corners is not going to help reliability as much as it certainly will breed unintentional issues. With this said, I think the 1.6L engines were the way to go all along with the Versa. :)
I understand. Im just saying I hear so many ppl say "Nissans are very good", this, and that...well I hope it doesnt let me down cause I plan on getting a Frontier next. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, so I have posted up a good del about my wife's car and how I determined it had piston slap EVEN when the dealership attempted to tell me it was normal or just valve chatter. I wont go into detail about myself however my automotive skills are very extensive and quite sharp. I just want to give more people peace of mind and the knowledge of knowing if their car is as designed or if a problem exist. I have used this test for the better part of 10-12 years now. 100% of the time it has worked flawlessly. If you suspect your engine to suffer from piston slap, perform the following

Start your engine up after sitting for awhile (best overnight) and let run for 15 seconds. memmorize the severity and sound of the noise

Immediately turn the car off, remove all the spark plugs, and with an oil can squirt 2 squirts of oil into each cylinder, reinstall plugs.

Start the car and again listen to the sounds....IF the noise is greatly reduced OR gone all together, guess what, your engine has piston slap.

Because this is just a test to determine the results, the noise will return after about 15-20 seconds, and as usual not go awya until the engine warms and the piston expands which prevents it from slapping sided to side while it is also moving up and down.

Lmk what you guys come up with. I dont often offer my advice like this however I feel this may benefit quite a few members on here that are either not sure about the noise they hear and are worried, and or the members that are being lied to by their Nissan service dept.

Sincerely, Lawrence

Sincerely, Lawrence
Lawrence,

The air intake and throttle body need to be removed to get to the spark plugs on the versa to do this piston slap test. How can your test be done without the air intake and throttle body? Thanks.

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts