Nissan Versa Forums banner

Piston slap

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  07Versa6MT 
#1 ·
Hi Guys......this is my 1st time on here. Wanted to share this.

My 2011 started to make a noise like a sewing machine when the engine was cold.....I didnt know if it was valve clearances or piston slap.

I guess the way to know the difference is that bad valve clearances will sound off all the time..........while piston slap is noisy when cold (with engine under load) and then get much quieter as the engine warms up. Well I decided it was piston slap based on this.

Anyhow, I took it to dealer....it has 32Kmiles on it. They agreed it was piston slap...........the 1st thing they did was to replace pistons, rods and bearings. When i got it back I could still hear it. So, I took it back and they put a new "short block" in it last week.

The car now sounds better than it did when new, not only that it has more pep/power.

Dont ignor the tapping sound when its cold, if it has less than 60k miles on it and or it is less than 5 years old...take it back to the dealer......It is a known defect by Nissan.....I got no hassle at all

See less See more
#2 ·
What engine do you have? I think I already know the answer though :D.

#3 ·
Decent . .

#4 ·
:confused5:

#5 ·
I'm basing what i said off the "...I got no hassle at all." part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.