Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy a used car and have narrowed down to 2 options: a 2014 Mirage DE or 2014 Versa Note SE. Both have CVTs and around 60,000 mileage. Mirage DE (completely basic) out-the-door price is $5500 and Note SE (better trim) is $6000. I'm leaning more towards the Note because it is roomier and I test drove it once and it was very comfortable (the seats in Mirage don't look as comfortable). But I'm also very interested in the Mirage (I actually like how the Mirage looks better, sorry). I like that the Mirage has higher mpg than the Note, and a $500 saving, but I live in Los Angeles and not sure how the Mirage can handle frequent hill driving? Plus, I like to take road trip to San Francisco and I'm not sure if the Note or Mirage would be better to handle the very steep inclines in San Francisco? I know the Note isn't that much more powerful, but from what I've read, it is more powerful than the Mirage, and more quiet. I haven't test driven a Mirage yet, and this dealership is 50 miles away from me. I would like to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon and I still don't know which car to go with. I haven't had a Mitsubishi or Nissan car before. I posted a similar question in Mitsubishi Mirage and got replies from people saying the Versa CVT tends to fail around 60,000 miles more often than the Mirage. I see some complaints, yes, but too many to be concerned about...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have no information regarding the Mirage, but I can tell you that the Nissan CVTs are ONE BIG TROUBLE SPOT, and I personally would not purchase a used Nissan with 60,000 miles on it with that transmission. My 2012 Versa with a Cvt went bad at just under 30,000 miles, and the transmission was replaced under warranty with a "new" one. The issue with the CVTs is so bad that they have them stocked up and ready to transplant at a moments notice. I would never buy another Nissan product with a cvt transmission!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy a used car and have narrowed down to 2 options: a 2014 Mirage DE or 2014 Versa Note SE. Both have CVTs and around 60,000 mileage. Mirage DE (completely basic) out-the-door price is $5500 and Note SE (better trim) is $6000. I'm leaning more towards the Note because it is roomier and I test drove it once and it was very comfortable (the seats in Mirage don't look as comfortable). But I'm also very interested in the Mirage (I actually like how the Mirage looks better, sorry). I like that the Mirage has higher mpg than the Note, and a $500 saving, but I live in Los Angeles and not sure how the Mirage can handle frequent hill driving? Plus, I like to take road trip to San Francisco and I'm not sure if the Note or Mirage would be better to handle the very steep inclines in San Francisco? I know the Note isn't that much more powerful, but from what I've read, it is more powerful than the Mirage, and more quiet. I haven't test driven a Mirage yet, and this dealership is 50 miles away from me. I would like to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon and I still don't know which car to go with. I haven't had a Mitsubishi or Nissan car before. I posted a similar question in Mitsubishi Mirage and got replies from people saying the Versa CVT tends to fail around 60,000 miles more often than the Mirage. I see some complaints, yes, but too many to be concerned about...

Thanks!
I purchased a 2014 Note feb 2019 with 57k miles. $6k. Feb 2020 3 hours from home, my transmission failed with no warning. 74k miles. It’s now sitting in my driveway collecting dust. I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a 2015 Versa sedan CVT owner, I would take a HARD PASS on both of those vehicles you are considering. Invest your money in a Toyota or Honda. Even if higher mileage or an older model. Also because like everyone, you are concerned with ongoing expenses, do price shop the insurance before purchase. Can be a surprise the difference among vehicles (as well as insurance companies). GOOD LUCK and let us know what you purchased!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Mirage is the only car the Versa can make fun of. NEVER buy a Mirage.

That said, I wouldn't get a 60K CVT anything. Versa with a manual, OK. Or....literally anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
I would buy neither one for those prices.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want a Versa, look for a Gen 1(2007-2011/2012 Hatch) with a 4A/T or manual.
I have seen a few with over 200k miles and still running strong.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
162 Posts
I like how both cars look. The Mirage is cute despite car enthusiasts saying that it looks boring, dated/old, etc. The Versa Note looks cute too; I smile big every time that I go down to the garage and look at my Versa Note. Reviews on car magazines, TV shows, etc. say that both cars suck, they're slow, they look boring, they don't handle well, etc. I applaud you for considering the Versa Note and Mirage instead of jumping off the cliff with everyone else and buying a crossover/SUV/whatever the hell those things are called.

Anyways, yes, both cars are slow, especially with the CVTs. I believe both the Versa Note and the Mirage CVT units are made by Jatco and are, thus, both defective. It pains me to admit it because I love my Versa Note and the CVT but I replaced it once already under warranty and may need to do so again soon. If you can get past that as I am trying to do, the CVT is awesome. Keeps engine speeds (RPMs) low to save gas and reduce engine wear and tear. I love how it sounds like a spaceship. Hell yeah!

The Versa Note is roomier. I prefer the exterior width and height of the Mirage; the Versa Note is tall, almost like a minivan. I would've considered a Mirage hatchback if it was just a few inches longer (there is no side rear window behind the rear side doors) and if the base model was stripped down like the Versa Note base model (S and S Plus, with no Bluetooth, leather-wrapped steering wheel, automatic climate control, or other fancy stuff that I don't need). The Mirage has less power than the already-weak sauce Versa Note but it is lighter and lower so that helps. Even with more power than the Mirage, the Versa Note really struggles going uphill and into wind, even with the engine screaming at 4,000-5,000 RPM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts