Nissan Versa Forums banner

Poor gas mileage

14K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  08versailles 
#1 ·
Hey i have my 2008 versa manual 6 spd.

I have a dynomax exhaust and a fujita CAI. Running on 17" 205/45 tires.

Since i bought it in 2007 i can not pass 450km on a full tank.
Air filter clean , tire pressure good , no codes nor check engine.

I have complained to nissan and they have always told there is no codes that come up and that everything is ok.

I live in montreal, QC.

I do about 3400 RPM @ 120km/h.

I tried once taking it easy by shifting at low RPMS and keeping it at speed limit but no dif.

I did montreal and myrtle beach and couldnt breach higher than 450km

Any suggestions?

#6 ·
Mostly highway ... But im freaking out everyone else is posting like 500 to 600 kms on a tank and im not able to do that.I always drive around 110 to max 120km/h on cruise.

My first car was a 4 cyl 2.0l mazda mx6 a 55l tank and i was doing an average of 600km no problem .

Wondering if i have some type of faulty injection issue. But wouldnt the check engine pop up?

Now in winter i fill up 20 liters and i barely do 110 km.

Anyone else experiance an issue like this and resolved it?

#8 ·
Boff i drove a rental versa for a week and there is a big dif ..... For sure automatic is more eco... Like for example i did 120 km/ h at slightly below 3000rpm.

Not to sure whats going on but im going to the dealer once again to try to resolve it.... Since i got this car they replaced all kinds of parts:

2 axles (left and right)
2 tables (left and right)
Stab links about 4 times
Crossmember
Both shock towers
Steering column
All bearings

Im pushing for a tranny change due to im
Having a hard time putting in 1 2 3 but its easy on 4 5 6
Or atleast to look into it. My clutch is still good.
They always try to brush me off cause of my mods and blaming everything on em.

#21 ·
They always try to brush me off cause of my mods and blaming everything on em.
Honestly it sounds about average.

You have wider tires.... more surface area in contact with the ground/bigger wheel (probably heavier) = more gas comsumed.

CAI will use more gas, since there is more air coming into the engine the computer changes the mixture to add more fuel.

Doesn't sound like your mazda was that much better considering the tank is 10litres bigger than the versas.

If I stick to the speedlimit (80 on alot of roads around here, 100 on the highway) I can get about 500km. 120 and I'm lucky if I see 450 km.

#13 ·
Well just came back from nissan and guess what there changing my block!!
Piston #3 is knocking and the compression is off .... So maybe thats the reason of my shit gas mileage!! And to all my mr18de buddies apparently its been reported several times result is changing the block!! Im at 104000 km / ~64500 miles on the odometre

So get ure versas checked!!

#14 ·
and another mr18 bites the dust. Slip them a $20 and tell them to make it an mr20 :D.

#16 ·
Mines been ticking bad for a bit I guess I should have them look at it again

#17 ·
If under warranty I definitely would.

I don't like the noise of my 1.6 over the last blistering cold day. I'm hoping this engine issue doesn't make it's way to our little guys. It was a slight tick, could just be the injectors but seemed different. It didn't get louder or faster with pressing the gas pedal though. I think I might actually have a little exhaust leak on the manifold.

#18 ·
Well I took it in before and got the its normal but how can it be normal our 87 has no tick at all I took the versa to the store a little while ago and it did it all the way there and back

#19 ·
get it documented at nissan that you brought it in under the warranty mileage for ticking. Might be a saving grace later in life. It seems cylinder 3 is low compression and then boom. So either convince them to do a compression check or do one yourself.

#20 ·
Ok that sounds good I'm still under warranty I will have them test it, now if it is bad I just need to think of how to convince them to drop an mr20 into it lol.

#22 ·
Isnt the versa 50L? I checked specs and thats whats listed

Yeah would make sense
Im guessin its just the fact they announced it that you can do about 800k on a tank. Thinking ok thats in the best road conditions, no stop and go , and no uphill . So i would of thought ok maybe ill be doing atleast 600 to the tank . For summer 2012 i bought lighter rims than my last set see what happends. Maybe after all it was a faulty motor that caused it all. Im really gonna try to get the most out of my tank but will be hard with a passion for taking turns like a champ lol. I love seeing the reaction of other tuners when they just got overtook by a modded versa

#23 ·
My versa "ticks" when the motor is cold, hell I have to have the control arm looked at and I know it's been posted about the knock from the control arm and the motor tick. Now my 3/36 is gone I will have it looked at again monday when I don't have class nor do I work.

#24 ·
I have an '07 6 speed. Won't go over 3000 rpm cause the fuel economy drops very quickly. The 6 sp manual was deliberately designed to give crappy mileage on the highway to sell more cvt trannys.
It SUCKS not doing the speed limit on the big highways. I wish I could get taller final drive gears or a tranny modification to give me at least 25% more overdrive.

Sometimes in the cold weather my mileage drops. I think a sensor causes a richer gasoline mix when cold and it's not always turning off when the engine warms up.

I had a Subaru that would run so rich, if snow blew into the engine compartment, it would shut the engine down.

#26 ·
We don't even get the 6th gear in the 1.6's. But we don't really miss it much :D.

#27 ·
Larger wheels = more unsprung weight, and some other factors, which lead to worse gas mileage.

How are you calculating mileage? If you're using wheels larger than factory spec then your odometer is going to be reading incorrectly.

#30 ·
Well i wrote i letter to nissan regarding the 6th gear and they pretty much told me that the mpg is calculated by approoved transport canada methods and that its tested in controlled enviroments and that about the 6th gear, that they will not consider fabricating a longer gear ratio but will submit my email to the design team for future models.

But on the other hand i drove my versa at 80 kmh on highways and did not surpass 3000rpm and i am doing good mileage lol... So the versa is only eco if u go rally slow lol not good for a person that likes going fast lol

#32 ·
But on the other hand i drove my versa at 80 kmh on highways and did not surpass 3000rpm and i am doing good mileage lol... So the versa is only eco if u go rally slow lol not good for a person that likes going fast lol
So true. When I baby my car I can get 600 on a tank if its mostly highway. But what fun is that?

I would love a really tall 6th gear, one that I could cruise at 110-120km/h and still be under 3000rpm lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.