Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2012 Versa, base model. Immediately I swapped out the factory head unit for an inexpensive digital media unit for phone connectivity. So I don't have much a of a reference to the factory one.

The aftermarket HU is a relatively inexpensive Nakamichi uni,t still with the factory speakers. I am astonished how poor the sound is. I am trying to figure out if head unit is garbage or the factory speakers?

I had a similar setup with my Focus, inexpensive Kenwood head unit with factory speakers are the sound quality was much better.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
773 Posts
The base model speakers aren't exactly stellar. Low power handling, and 2 Ohms impedencee.
Anything would be an upgrade, and MAY sound better.
A good and very cheap upgrade would be the speakers fron a Versa SL, or from an Altima, if you have a pick-a-part close by.
Otherwise look at Crutchfield to at least get an idea of what you will need

Reactions: Ecate

·
Registered
270 Posts
Swapped a set of MB Quart separates in my '07 Versa SL and the gains were immediate and stellar, Remember that the Versa had extremely inexpensive speakers to meet pricing targets, so any upgrade will be noticable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to ask, did it sound like crap before swapping the head unit out? You said you immediately swapped the HU but I would have to guess you didn't do it in the driveway or lot where you bought the car.
I have just done speakers and a headunit in our 2008 S hatchback. In the last week, the car has seen 4 different HUs for various reasons. Some of which could apply to you for the HU.
  • Factory unit was AM/FM with a busted when we bought it used CD player. The bluetooth FM was driving me nuts
  • Used Pioneer DPX303MBT (bought of FB marketplace). Sounded great, but had the HR error 89 which meant no BT connectivity
  • Cheap Dual HU I had sitting on the shelf (walmart special, sells for ~$40). Alternator whine and just couldn't get to sound right with EQs
  • Cheap Boss Elite 480brgb was what I settled on. Kind of ugly but works. BT works and sounds decent

For OEM speakers, the ones out of our 2008 S where shot (keep in mind 14 years old speakers). Was actually surprised with their quality. The surround was foam (like decent aftermarkets), metal basket and the magnet was of ok size. They are actually better then the Pioneer 1665 6.5" I owned for ~5 minutes (absolute garbage).
For speakers, I settled with the JBL Club 6520. They are the higher side of budget speakers and once broken in... sound as better than the factory setup in our Honda Pilot Touring (Bose 5.1 or 7.1).

Keep in mind when doing speakers, they need to break in, should be sealed to the door, and while the doors are apart, add some insulation (trust me on this, 20 extra minutes work every second).

·
Registered
514 Posts
what I did ws basically reproduce the audioset of a fully loaded Versa SL.

I added the upgraded premium HU, the tweeters, the subwoofer in the trunk and replaced the 4 speakers with SL ones.

I tweaked a bit each one of the different pieces of hardware and I have to say the sound is great! the iPod interface (best sound) and the SiriusXM (better) work flawlessly.

I might upgrade speakers and tweeters in the future with some Boses from an altima, but as of right now everything works great.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just to add- too lazy to edit!
Versa SL speakers are made by Blaupunkt
2004-2006 Altima speakers are made by Clarion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts