Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the time I bought my '16 Versa in February 2019 I was unaware of the problems Nissan has had with their CVT's because I bought this car on short notice and didn't do my research. Since I purchased it it's been my only serious concern. What I'd like is for everyone to post everything about their experiences with the CVT. If you've had a failure post it and how many miles you had at the time of the failure. If there's been no problems post it with the mileage you currently have on the car along with CVT maintenance history. If you've replaced parts of the CVT post it and at what mileage. If you've changed the fluid post your interval and what brand fluid you've used when replacing it. If you've used other than Nissan fluid post how many miles you've been using such fluid and if there have been any issues with it's use. I know I'm not the only person who's got questions and concerns about CVT failure/reliability. I read a lot about CVT failures online but I know when there's a problem it's going to become public with the internet we have these days, yet people who get 150, 200, 250K miles from one of these transmissions comments and experience never get brought into the light for others to see and read about. I think if we get good cooperation on this thread it will give us all a better idea of the reliability of the Nissan Versa CVT's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 Versa SV Special Edition that I got new in December 2017. I've got 16+k miles on it now and, thankfully, no transmission problems at all. No problems at all actually. It's my first CVT, and it took a little getting used to at first, but so far, so good!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have posted my experience in the opening post. I bought my '16 in Feb. 2019 with 10546 miles. It is currently at just over 16K and no problems. This is also my first vehicle to have a CVT. As of right now my intentions are to do fluid changes every 30K miles unless something happens that changes my mind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's not a Versa, but we've got about 90K miles on our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan that's got a ~300hp V6 engine coupled to a CVT. It's big, heavy and doesn't lead an easy life (kinda like me!)

To add insult to injury, I bought it used as an ex-rental, so it's first year and 32K miles it was driven, potentially romped on and farted in by Lord only knows how many people.

I did a few CVT fluid drain/fills right after I bought it and the factory fluid was black. I do drain/fills about once maybe twice a year now. It's very easy to do on most Nissans. The worst part on Versii is getting to and removing the cap on the refill tube.

For what ever reason, the CVTs coupled to the 3.5L V6 seem to fare better. My suspicion is because they are built to handle more torque. Some folks I chat with on another board have 200K+ miles on these CVTs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2015 Versa S 42,000 miles
2015 Altima 48.000 miles
2015 Versa SV 43,000 miles
2018 Versa S 5200 miles
Dare I say it, no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 2016 Versa at 27,000 miles and currently at 56,000. I'm nearing the recommended 60k fluid change, and so far no problems. As far as I know the worst of the CVT problems comes from the 07-12 Gen 1 Versas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Versa SV. 194,400 miles, ZERO CVT maintenance. It's something that I would never suggest to anyone else (original fluid even)

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the time I bought my '16 Versa in February 2019 I was unaware of the problems Nissan has had with their CVT's because I bought this car on short notice and didn't do my research. Since I purchased it it's been my only serious concern. What I'd like is for everyone to post everything about their experiences with the CVT. If you've had a failure post it and how many miles you had at the time of the failure. If there's been no problems post it with the mileage you currently have on the car along with CVT maintenance history. If you've replaced parts of the CVT post it and at what mileage. If you've changed the fluid post your interval and what brand fluid you've used when replacing it. If you've used other than Nissan fluid post how many miles you've been using such fluid and if there have been any issues with it's use. I know I'm not the only person who's got questions and concerns about CVT failure/reliability. I read a lot about CVT failures online but I know when there's a problem it's going to become public with the internet we have these days, yet people who get 150, 200, 250K miles from one of these transmissions comments and experience never get brought into the light for others to see and read about. I think if we get good cooperation on this thread it will give us all a better idea of the reliability of the Nissan Versa CVT's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am like you I bought a 2018 Versa S and wasn't aware of the cvt problems. Also like you I am a sponge trying to soak up info on them. Mine is still young with only about 9,000 miles but no problems so far. I baby it like crazy and never accelerate before I feel it catch when putting in gear. Don't know if that helps but it couldn't hurt. I love the car so far! It runs good and great on gas mileage not to mention how affordable it was to buy. The posts on here are encouraging. The maintenance manager at the dealer told me most of the problems were in earlier years and they were hit and miss. He said he hadn't seen anything over a 2015 for transmission problems and that was only this past summer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also I might add I see these cars all over the place where I live. They are very popular. I see at least 4 or 5 of them every time I go into town it seems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I might add I see these cars all over the place where I live. They are very popular. I see at least 4 or 5 of them every time I go into town it seems.
There's lot's of Nissan on the road around here but seems like I see more Altima in this area than anything else. Either the Sentra or Rouge seems to be the next most popular here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts