Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Just found this forum. I am currently in a car search to replace my rapidly aging 94 Toyota Camry.

I am currently looking at a 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback from Hertz Rent2Buy program. The car has about 28K miles and is generally in my price range in terms of financing.

I was wondering if any of you could give me suggestions on what to look for during my 3-day test drive of this car. Are there any issues with this year/model that I should keep in mind? Any general opinions on this model in general?

Any input you guys have would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Primary use for this car will be highway commuting, approximately 75 miles round trip every day. Then, family car on the weekends :)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
look out for hard starting due to faulty pressure regulator. Listen for loud ticking or knocking in the engine, check the front springs for cracks and then the usual. Like fluid levels, colors, leaks etc.

If driving that much expect to get around 30mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I own a 2010 and no issues. There was a recall on the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) but as far as I know that's the 07-09 models. As long as you change the oil when you're supposed to you'll be fine.

What's the warranty on it? And price(if you don't mind me asking)? Mileage sounds good but I ask because alot of times these ppl try to sell overpriced cars with little to no warranty so you might be better off going directly to Nissan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own a 2010 and no issues. There was a recall on the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) but as far as I know that's the 07-09 models. As long as you change the oil when you're supposed to you'll be fine.

What's the warranty on it? And price(if you don't mind me asking)? Mileage sounds good but I ask because alot of times these ppl try to sell overpriced cars with little to no warranty so you might be better off going directly to Nissan.
Price is $11,800 at 2.9% apr for 5 years. I get the remainder of the factory warranty, they provide a 2 month warranty with the option of purchasing additional warranties through them.

How easy is this car to work at home? I try do most of my own car repairs that I'm able to do.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
this car is like lego's. I haven't had to do anything really yet but normal maintenance. It has one belt with a single tensioner pulley. The alternator and starter are right up front, axles seem super easy to pull since it's just a simple McPherson setup in front, oil change is simple but the filter in a bit of a tricky spot. After your first change you will find your own way to easily contort your arm to get it off.

Only things I don't really like is the intake manifold over the engine design. Makes changing plugs not a simple job. Also the exhaust manifold in the back but if not planning on installing a header it doesn't really matter as you will never mess with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would never buy an ex-rental car personally. You're probably better off finding a used car from a single individual owner...that's just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Price is $11,800 at 2.9% apr for 5 years. I get the remainder of the factory warranty, they provide a 2 month warranty with the option of purchasing additional warranties through them.

How easy is this car to work at home? I try do most of my own car repairs that I'm able to do.
$11,800 at 2.9% sounds good. I got mine for $11,399 at 5% new but its the base model. As far as working on it, I take it to the dealership for service but I also take it to this shop to get all the aftermarket parts done(tint, headunit, alarm, fogs) and the dude said this is the 1st V he's worked on and found it easy with alot of room to work o.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
As Rob said the car is like a Lego. Easy to take apart and work on. Only thing I take my car in for are the oil changes since it works out to the same price, if not cheaper, as me doing them at home. Only issues I've encountered is it not starting. Fuel pressure regulator has been replaced twice and the sunroof leaked during the first year of ownership. other than that it's a decent reliable car.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I only do the oil changes because I use synthetic. But if I didn't I would bring in somewhere. There is a place down the road from me that does $18 oil changes. So a filter at $5 and 4 quarts of oil for $16 total it is actually cheaper to not get my hands dirty. But once you use synthetic the oil change prices are well over $50. It costs me $25 for the oil and filter plus I have a spare quart of oil too. So basically every 4th oil change I just need to buy a filter.

I only use synthetic because I do extended oil changes. I change every 10k miles now. I was every 7500 until the warranty ran out.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I would never buy an ex-rental car personally. You're probably better off finding a used car from a single individual owner...that's just my opinion though.
I agree. I'd go to Nissan and see what they have. Unfortunately, rentals are usually beat on.

On the other hand, if you feel like it's a good deal, atleast get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way back when, I used to work for a rental car company (college days). The nice part about rental cars is that the companies usually do a good job ensuring that their cars get all the maintenance required and hire good mechanics. The bad part is that some of the cars do indeed get banged up. However, I would say that a good 80-85% of the rental cars are in pretty good shape. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Way back when, I used to work for a rental car company (college days). The nice part about rental cars is that the companies usually do a good job ensuring that their cars get all the maintenance required and hire good mechanics. The bad part is that some of the cars do indeed get banged up. However, I would say that a good 80-85% of the rental cars are in pretty good shape. :)
I have found the same thing too^wife's Altima and previous van were rentals, and my Versa and previous Sentra were lease returns, all well maintained and some factory powertrain warranty left.
Myself I wouldn't bother with extended warranty. Fuel pressure regulator changed out of warranty for about $50 plus an hour labour. My A/C freon finally leaked out a couple months ago, I'll top up in the spring. My only two issues after 149000km:thumb2:. My spark plugs may need changing soon. Like Rob said^they are a little more inconvenient than uncovered plugs, and a little more $, but they last many miles. I recommend the Versa, especially with manual of course:woot:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, picked up the car tonight for a 3-day test drive. Few things I've noticed so far that are detracting:

There are two spots, about 1" each, of light rust and worn away paint on top of the hatchback door, one to each side of the center break light, on the most-raised parts of the contours. I assume this is from the rental company repeatedly running the car through an automatic washer. Has anyone here fixed rust spots on their V? How difficult was it? How hard is it to find color matching paint? This car is the Arctic Blue color (paint code RAF).

On the interior trim, rear, driver-side, door, on the arm rest, there is a small circular hole in the vinyl, probably about half the size of a pencil eraser. Has anyone fixed their interior vinyl before? How much would a shop charge to get it filled in/patched up?

Other than those things, and a few rock dings along the body, the car runs great, no pinging from the engine, and is pretty fun to drive.

Oh, also had this question - is it possible to fit a full-size spare in the 2010 HB Versa? From the brief look I got at the spare, it does not seem to be full-size, but there appears to be room around it, possibly enough to fit a full size in. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got it. As far as paint, there is touch up paint you can get from Nissan. It should be around $15 and it comes in a small bottle. It comes with a brush so its easy to apply.

As for the spare...I've been thinking about getting one as well and I know the bolt pattern is 4 X 114 so you can get a 14/15in. steel wheel off a Versa, Sentra, 93-01 Altima, or 90-02 Accord.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
As for the spare...I've been thinking about getting one as well and I know the bolt pattern is 4 X 114 so you can get a 14/15in. steel wheel off a Versa, Sentra, 93-01 Altima, or 90-02 Accord.
I don't know if it matters but isn't the bolt pattern 4x114.3?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.