Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like the Konig rims I was looking to get are discontinued and the white rims seems to be hard to find. I found these online and I was thinking about powder coating them white (They come in white but they only have silver). Is it necessary to sand blast them even though they are brand new with no scuff marks and scratches? I could remove the paint with aircraft stripper instead of spending the money to get them sand blasted.

http://www.msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=231

·
Registered
613 Posts
whats funny is i was thinking of getting those rims at one point in time :p
a white set of those would look sweet on your v

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When you sand blast the rims, the bare metal is really rough, and you gotta spend a lot of time filling and smoothing with etch and filler primer, so they don't end up with orange peel. Since they're new, why ya gotta ruin them with aircraft paint stripper? Just wetsand so its smooth yet slightly rough for primer, base, and clear. Simple and no fuss.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you sand blast the rims, the bare metal is really rough, and you gotta spend a lot of time filling and smoothing with etch and filler primer, so they don't end up with orange peel. Since they're new, why ya gotta ruin them with aircraft paint stripper? Just wetsand so its smooth yet slightly rough for primer, base, and clear. Simple and no fuss.
I was thinking about primer, paint, and then a clear coat but isn't powder coating a better way to go? I'd use aircraft stripper to take off the original paint and get them powder coated so they would last longer and allow for easy cleaning.

Is there another paint remover that is less harmful? Maybe I could wet sand it and send it to get it powder coated

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was thinking about primer, paint, and then a clear coat but isn't powder coating a better way to go? I'd use aircraft stripper to take off the original paint and get them powder coated so they would last longer and allow for easy cleaning.

Is there another paint remover that is less harmful? Maybe I could wet sand it and send it to get it powder coated
Arite sandblast and powdercoat them. Enough said. But take it from me who spent less than $40 to spray can my rims and lasted 2 seasons without cracking, chipping, or pitting.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Most shops are different. Maybe they don't have the equipment for sandblasting. Some will charge extra for strip and prep or some will include it with the service. The one I talked too said they gotta be stripped before powder coating.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I powder coat I use a product called DeKote to remove paint or powder from the substrate. Remember, you have to get to bare metal before you can powder coat any metal. Even after you are at the bare metal I always place the part in the oven at 400 degrees to prevent any type of out gasing, which would ruin the powder coated finish by showing up as a bubble under the cured powder. Powder coating is 95% PREP and 5% coating. :)
i personally would NOT use a powder coater that didnt do their own prep work.
As they should...however, a good decent shop will charge by the condition of the part coming in for service. Less for a cleaner part, more for an oil soaked part. The reason is obvious....prep work is time, and time is money. Yes they should ALWAYS do the final prepping, but how much, well thats in the money.
Most shops are different. Maybe they don't have the equipment for sandblasting. Some will charge extra for strip and prep or some will include it with the service. The one I talked too said they gotta be stripped before powder coating.
Absolutely 100% correct it is. Cured powder will out last any form of wet painting presently available, and its ability to repell grime, oil, and gas is the best there is. Depending on the part being coated...if the part will see alot of chemical spillage etc. I would strongly recommend a 2 stage finish...base+a clear top coat. A standard coating is just a base coat that has a certain amount of clear resin added for shine/sheen...a 2 or 3 coats adds addition coats of resins like a metalic + a clear or translucent powder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.