Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Versa and Tiida Owners,

Two days ago, I had an odd occurrance. I drove to the shopping center and when it was time to leave, I started the car, the "PS" warning light came on, and I had no power steering. VERY HARD to turn the wheel. So, half a "Hail Mary" later, I shut off the engine, started it again, and everything was fine.

Everything has been fine in the two days since.

Have any of you had this experience, as well?

Cheers!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmmm, :shrug: . That's weird.
I haven't had any issues. Good luck though on figuring out what's wrong.

BTW... I like your signature. :jumping:

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is an odd and potentially dangerous situation.

As you probably know, the Versa has an electric power steering system, which is quite different than the conventional hydraulic, engine-powered system on most cars. I guess this Versa electric power steering system could experience an electrical problem and cause all kinds of weird behavior. I think the electric steering motor runs about $600 so hopefully that isn't going out.

Personally, I would post an official safety complaint with the NHTSA. Loss of steering or steering assist is a safety issue.

EDIT: I just realized the OP is from Mexico, so I guess the NHTSA complaint thing wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Two days ago, I had an odd occurrance. I drove to the shopping center and when it was time to leave, I started the car, the "PS" warning light came on, and I had no power steering. VERY HARD to turn the wheel. So, half a "Hail Mary" later, I shut off the engine, started it again, and everything was fine.

Cheers!
The exact same thing happened to me this morning. I'm scheduled for an oil change at Nissan this Sunday so I'm going to mention it then. Even though everything is fine now, the fact that the light came on at all and the steering was impossible for a few seconds makes me think this isn't going to go away. I just bought the car used from Nissan in January, so I'm really concerned right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i would have nissan look at it. usually the power steering system will store some type if trouble code. don't wait too long, i will clear out after a while.
i happened to me before.but that was when i hit the curb and the system needed to reset.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I took the car to the dealer to have them look at it. They couldn't find anything wrong, and treated it as something that ocasionally happens. (That is why there is a light on the instrument panel that says PS, that comes on when the power steering does not operate.)

I've decided not to worry about it for two reasons: 1) in my case, it happened when I started the car: the power steering simply refused to come on, and after I shut the motor off, waited a few seconds, and restarted it, everything was fine and has been fine ever since. 2) My driveway is kind of a long, gradual hill, so I experimented with letting the car roll down the driveway, motor off, to see if I could steer it. It is possible to steer without the power sterring, very stiff, however.

I guess some other manufacturers have a lot of electric PS units that fail while the car is being driven. Nissans are not noted for having electric power steering failures.

Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Cheers!
Just a heads up but this one seemed to be common on other nissans. in fact I have been noticing the same problem on my 02 and i have suspected the power steering not functioning well. The problem started to took place around 12,000 miles. I did not do anything but now turning 14k miles and it seems more prevalent when I have just started my car and leaving a parking lot or driveway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts