Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on pre-loaded knuckles. My front wheel bearings aren't making noise, yet; but I do think that day will get here (soon enough).
In researching front wheel bearing replacement, I stumbled across pre-loaded knuckles. It is the whole assembly. The wheel bearing and hub are pressed in (already), you just pull your whole knuckle out and throw in a new one, no need for a press.
I was on Rockauto and found two versions for my car, one was an economy version for $106 and one from SKF for $176.
I'm assuming I will need a front end alignment after replacing the knuckle, but that seems like a good idea anyway (just to prevent tire wear from years of driving over potholes).
Has anyone tried this pre-loaded knuckles?? They seem like a good idea for us shade-tree mechanics.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a nice option, but your problems are still far from over if it's a rust belt vehicle. I guess what I'm getting at is you're still going to need various pullers, prying, impacting and whacking devices. Sometimes you're better off not disturbing items you don't need to replace. That can open a whole can of worms.

You've still got to hope and pray you can get the splined end of the CV shaft free and out of the old bearing. May have to replace ball joints as well depending on how they look and if they break free.

You'll likely need a new wheel speed sensor as the OE will break being rusted into place.

The OE brake dust shield will likely be turned to dust and need to be replaced as well.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a nice option, but your problems are still far from over if it's a rust belt vehicle.
What is this "rust" you speak of?? I'm not familiar with that here in the desert. (LOL)

I understand... many years ago I did live in an area that used salt on the roads (during the winter) and yes I dealt with all manner of frozen bolts.

Now... I don't even go out in the rain. My Versa sits in the garage during the few rainy days we get. We do have a monsoon season, but again I can avoid driving during those times or drive my old work truck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You got it made then in terms of swapping versa parts! IMO, they're unusually rusty little beasts in climates that support that. Not so much the outer body panels, just all the chassis and powertrain components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts