Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a 2014 Nissan Versa SV 2014 but the car only has 13,000 on it. The mechanic informed her recently (that my sister has verified) that the the tire is worn past the wear indicator on the back tire. The wear is evenly across her side and the center, so it does not appear to be due to tire inflation. Besides, if the tire was underinflated, the TPM sensor would triggered and my mom would have notice and taken her car to the gas station (she said the sensor sometimes go off when it gets really cold in the winter).

The tires were rotated late. I believe they were supposed to be rotated every 5,000 miles, but she did it at 8,000 miles.The tires are the original contipros I don't know what they are rated at, but it should be more than 13K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire pressure sensors have a tolerance range before they trigger, usually in the 15-20% range of optimal inflation pressure, meaning you could be as much as 6 psi underinflated and the light would never trigger.

It's hard to nail down what would cause a tire to wear out that quickly, especially with the car having that low mileage. I do know that on my wife's 2015 sedan, we got 20,000 miles out of the original equipment (OE) compound Bridgestone Ecopias, and I check pressures weekly and rotate tires at 5,000 miles religiously. I also know, from every tire manufacturer's sales training program that I've taken and from 6 years of selling tires professionally, that OE tires are not designed for long treadwear. They want you to have a smooth ride and good fuel economy, but also buy a new set of tires before the lease runs out.

Out of curiosity, how low is the tread on the other 3 tires?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ask if they can check the alignment before the new one goes on. If not, pay to have it checked so the same thing doesn't happen to the next one. Maybe she nailed something and knocked the alignment out. It could have happened at any time to any wheel. I wouldn't expect them to cover the alignment check, but you can ask.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Continental tires on my 2018 sedan at 31500 miles. I'm not a fast driver and almost all are highway miles. They were more worn in the centers than the edges. I put on Michelin Defenders so we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have physical access to the car since she lives in a different state than me. I have had my sister look at the car. She indicated that the tires wore evenly in the back. The wear was even across both tires in the back. The front tires are still in good shape. There are other issue with the back tire, The side walls on the rear tires are showing signs of cracking, but that is probably because it's parked outside in the sun for 7 years.

The car makes very small trips of an mile at a time. It is driven often, just very short distances of 1 mile. This is why there is only 13K for a car that is 7 years old.

My mom indicate that she does know about the TPM and will fill the tire right way if it alerts. If the tires were underinflated, I would think that the wear would be on the outside. If the tires were overinflated, then the middle would be worn. If there were alignment issues, wear would be uneven. I am still puzzled.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It sounds like there isn't a way for you to know the answer. In theory, I agree with what you said would be the results of those conditions, but I don't know the level of experience your sister has evaluating tire wear, there could be more than one factor contributing that keeps the results out of the norm.

The least likely scenario is that the tires were made of a softer material. Just replace the tire, get the alignment checked, tell her to keep the recommended 33psi in it, and put it behind you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok I now have more info. The wear is on outside edge on the rear. I am guessing that there is a misalignment issue. There is also a gash on the tire sidewall which appears to come from curb scrape. I am thinking she needs an alignment too.

The front may need to be replaced. Attached is a pic. Is this dry rot and should it be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
yes, I think it should be replaced. Dry and cracked, might be dangerous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, I finally got my mom to get an alignment check and it appears the right side was misalign. The cause is her bad habit of hitting the curb. In any case, the alignment is now fix and I hope we won't have premature tire wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts